BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon. It has a 360 V8 with a Holley 2bbl carb, NP-727 3-speed auto trany, NP-205 T-case, Dana 44 front and Spicer rear. I resently upgraded to slightly larger that stock 31"x10" tires. It still has 4 whell drum brakes and leaf springs on all 4 corners.
What upgrades do you recomend?

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun

·
Registered
382 Posts
The front wheelhubs and spindles on that truck are unique to Dodge alone...... by the time Dodge went to front discs they were using the crappy unit bearing front ends.
The easiest and best way to upgrade the front is to swap the knuckles outward for 77-87 Chev eight lug stuff throw a later model Dodge disc brake proportioning valve in place of the drum one you now have and you can stop that puppy on a dime.....
As far as the rest of the drivetrain.........you can't improve on what you already have..... TF727/np205 is about as bulletproof as they come.
throw a locking Diff in the rear axle and you are set......

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I guess I am on the right track.

I know the NP205 is almost indestructible, but I find myself wanting lower gears, as the NP205 only has a 1.96 low range. I have heard that you can't get lower gears for this T-case. Is this true? What should I do to get a lower low range. It still needs to be drivable on the freeway so I don't want to go too low in the diffs.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts