BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the area of 4x4ing but I am very interested in it and would like some help in choosing a vehicle. I have just recently bought a 79 Chevy 400 small block with some performance parts on it but not completely done out but still puts out atleast 300 hp.
What I need help with is choosing a vehicle to put it in I was thinking of putting it in an old CJ7 or Chevy Blazer but some of my friends say don't go with a jeep but I love jeeps. I was also thinking of putting it in an old Bronco but I am not sure. I am planning to use the engine to make a 4x4 even though some of my friends say go for 2 wheel drive and make a racer but I want a 4x4.
I was also wondering how I would go about finding a transmission for this engine I was told it would be hard to find a manual transmission for this engine but I would rather have a standard rather than an automatic so any help would be apreciated thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A tranny for any chevy small block will be an easy thing to find, manual or auto. Look at these links for some info on Jeep swaps and other motor/trannt adapters you can get. Novak and here AA

When it comes to what you drop it into think about this. 300HP in a big blazer or bronco is going to be ok, these are heavy trucks though. A jeep would be a good choice and more then enough power for 4x'ing plus there are alot of people who have done things like this so info will be easy to find. You should have a good look at toyota too, a 400 small block runner or truck would be nice on a trail. And once again lots of knowledge and info around.

·
Registered
287 Posts
umm,,,
300 hp is pretty common out of any v8
so why don't you pick the rig you like,then just build the motor in it,
sell the bow-tie for some go fast goodies on the boiler that is in the rig you like,

you could find that just an adapter kit would cost more than a rebuild on the original engine,

if you like jeep then buy jeep

you can find a cj7 with a 304 in it, they hop up nice,they go like hell,

just my .02 good luck chuck

·
Registered
302 Posts
all i can say is SM465 and a NP205 t case there easy 2 find any old chey came with that combo try 2 find a blazer w a crapy motor like a tired 305 and just drop in the 400 it will bolt in and FS blazers arent real heavy so 300 hp is plenty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.