BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I'm compiling a file to present to ICBC, regarding the replacement value of my truck, as it's obviously not going to be recovered.

I'd like some input from experts (you) on how much you'd expect to pay for a rig similar to mine. Please don't be wise-asses, because I'm going to print this out verbatim and present it to the folks at ICBC.

And, if you have sold a rig similar to this, what did you end up getting for it?

Here goes.

Black 1992 4Runner SR5.
Cloth seats w NO holes.
NO rust.
No dents.
Privacy glass.
IFS w mega travel balljoints.
New Moog idler arm w lifetime warranty.
Solid frame.
All-Pro rock sliders welded to frame.
Custom 1/4" Transfer case skidplate.
IFS Frame Brace.
Custom rear tire carrier/low profile 3/8" steel bumper.
Custom rear coil perches.
Recent brake pads.
Recent exhaust from cat to tail.
188,000kms on 22RE with NEW timing chain, guides, and head gasket (installed by Toyota at 187,000kms).
Auto tranny.
Sunroof.
A/C.
Roofrack.
New Kumho 33" M/Ts.
American Racing rims.
Warn Manual hubs.
4" SuperLift Susp lift installed by NSOR in April.
New SuperLift shocks.
4.56 Genuine Toyota gears.
Custom on-board air w custom 12 gallon storage.
Downey 110a alternator (2 months old).
New Optima Redtop.
Upgraded accessory wiring harness.
Flex-A-Lite electric rad fan (3 months old).
Hella 500s and Hella 530s (2 of each).
Flex-A-Lite tranny cooler (recently replaced).
Slightly dented ****tyBilt bull bar.
CB w K40 antenna.
VHF.
Panasonic removeable CD deck w 4 JBL speakers.
Cargo cover.
Hi-Lift.
Fire extinguisher.
Recovery strap, shackles, jumper cables, first aid kit, small tool kit incl socket set, etc.
RECORDS and RECEIPTS for everything, incl regular service/oil changes/etc.
"Satan" air freshener.
Pics at http://www.geocities.com/theironyuppy

I think that's it.

So, what's it really worth? :confused: :violin :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know... I have about 30 ads between 12 and 15000 for stock Runners, but I'm trying to argue for at least *some* of my upgrades. I put ober $15000 into my ride, and I'm trying to convince ICBC of what I'll haveto pay to rebuild my truck (or buy a similar one).

There was s truck almost exactly like mine for sale at NSOR a few months ago, and it was, like $19,500. I can't find the ad, so I guess the owner sold it or took it of the market (or maybe it got stolen, too).

So, let me know what you'd pay, or charge, for a truck like this.

Cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
iron yuppy,

u have to be careful when dealing with icbc when your car is stolen and your working out a settlement...most of the time the mods u add too your vehicle doesn't necessarily increase the value of your car, in turn it might depreciate it...like for instance if u hade a $500 deck and $200 rims (ar767) that would actually deprecitate the value of your pay out cuz the the stock deck would be worth more then the deck u have...same situation would go for the rims....

i got screwed by icbc 2 years ago when my car got stolen...it was done to the tits but little did i know that doing all that stuff only depreciated the value of my car cuz the stock oem parts were worth so much more...

the best things u could have done is gotten it appraiesed...actually i think u still can if u bring all your recipts and pics of your vehicle...that might help in your settlement...also don't take the first offer..icbc always low balls u..they said $6k for my car at first...it took about a month and i walked our with $9,500 wich i thought was somewhat fair...

hth,
allan

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had an 85 Toyota stolen 6 years ago all done up with lots of money spent on extras. ICBC tried to pay out at basically stock value, so I took it to arbitraition and used an independant adjuster. ICBC actually set the whole thing up and the indepentant adjuster won my case for me and got me many thousand dollars more than ICBC started with. Ask ICBC about an indepentant appraseil. The indepentant Aduster knew 4x4's and there value, His name is Bob Simpson 604-826-7576.

Hope this helps

·
Chump
624 Posts
Adam B on this board had a 96 Ranger, got smoked by a semi in Vancouver. If I remember correctly, ICBC covered everything he had done to his truck, he took all his reciepts in, and everything was covered. I was very surprised to see this....but I know it does not happen with everybody but it can happen.

·
1,269 Posts
If I recall correctly Flex off here sold his SAS runner on 35s for alot less than you're planning on getting for yours... Definetly have every single reciept for everything ready when you go into ICBC. If I were to make you an offer on your truck I'd say somewhere around $12,000. Here's a pic in case anyone else wants to play estimater. :D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ICBC doesnt seem to have any problem with giving you the money as long as you have a recipt. So I would say "give me 12,000 or so for the truck alone, and no I want you to replace everything that was on my truck". Then start pulling all the recipts. So I wouldn't ask for one lump sum of money, go for vehicle plus mods. That's just my opinion but I also believe ICBC is a load of Bull.

Peter :mullet

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
In the last two years ICBC has become more cheap than ever. Don't be surprised if they start to tell you that "just because you have a recipt, does not mean that item was actually in the vehicle. The only way around it is to take pictures of EVERYTHING. Take pictures of the recipts, the item getting installed, the shop installing it and what it looked like and where it was in the vehicle when finally installed. Then catalouge everyhting.

I know, it's god damned rediculous.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have each and every receipt I own, plus photos of the items installed, and even a magazine article on the installation of the lift kit. Everything is itemized, and I even made a quick-referece summary for them. Of course, I don't expect to get every dime back, but a portion would be nice. Especially as there's videotape evidence of the guys stealing the truck, so it's pretty evident that 1) I'm not scamming ICBC, and 2) I took all the anti-theft measures they told me to.

Basically, I want to avoid the whole tyhing with hiring an estimator, and drawing the whole process out. A month is long enough to wait to settle on a vehicle which everybody, including ICBC and the police, agree was completely parted-out hours after being stolen.

For the record, I don't think they're ridiculous at all; it's their mandate to save money, and, as ultimately their money is our money, I'm glad to see them being so careful. But, I just want to be treated fairly. I'm a RoadStar, with 19 years without an at-fault claim.

Touch wood.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I think if I was in your position, I wouldn't bring in any pictures offraod. I would submit pictures taken right after a wash job parked on the street and make it out to be a pavement princess so that they think you kept very good maintenence and the vehicle was for show mostly. This way the mods you have done wont depreciate the vehicle as much...just a thought.

Good luck.

P.S. Don't get too much for your truck, I don't want my rates to go anymore...LOL J/K:p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D'oh! I didn't think of that. There are lots of offroad pics, and they have some of them. But I never really abused it offroad anyway. I'm a bit of a "pavement princess" myself (depends on who you ask). No pics of abuse, cuz there wasn't any abuse! Lots of maintainence, too!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
jordan-ranger

the reason they forked over a reasonable amount,quickly,for your friends truck is because there was probably a personal injury claim there as well.personal injuries are such a grey area,so they give you a good price on your truck and then you don't fight them so hard when they lowball your p.i.c. or thats their theory...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey sorry about your truck. Iwork in a bodyshop and just went through a T/L with my truck. ICBC likes to use the buy &sell, truck trader etc for value. They look at the year and that's what they say it's worth.They usually don't care about mod's, that's just my experience and two bits. I truly hope you have better luck.:angry :*******

·
Registered
277 Posts
from what you posted i want to say between 16 and 19 grand.
i think icbc would agree and unless there............. ICBC!

·
Registered
55 Posts
heres my theory. i do the whole icbc auction thing religously and you tend to see that heavily modded 4x's do acualy fetch more loot than the bone stocker.
rite off the bat, because icbc cant acually touch and feel, and most importantly, do an inspection on the condition of parts and body, they are going to be reluctant to pay out heavily. just cause youve got all the reciepts and pretty fotos doesnt mean to them that the truck wasnt a pos. remember, its their job to give you the lowest possible amount of money. less money to you is more savings to them.
they dont want to compare it to the really sweet ride that got hit by the semi cause 9 times out of 10 they end up with that vehicle. they can touch, feel and see the age and condition of the parts. whos to say that those mega travel ball joints werent at the end of there life span. per say.
beleive it or not, icbc claims to do this for you, the icbc customer. means f-all tho when its your own ride theyre paying for, i know. i think that icbc doesnt want to pay you alot because they know as well as you do that theyre never gonna get any return on those parts, as they mite if the vehicle could go thru the auction.
it is entirely true what big jeepn said about pay outs. icxbcs first offer is always a fraction of what you should get cause guess what? most people accept the first offer.
anyways, thats just my 2 bits.
good luck.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
hey iron yuppy sorry to hear there was no recovery!! i don't like icbc at all but they did treat me well when my xj was stolen and burnt. i paid 6500 for it and did a bunch of work to it they gave me over 9000! i saw your truck as you know i will say it was VERY nice!!! i would hope for your sake and all ours that they give you no less than $15000 ! i woulld fight them if they try. also don't be shy about talking to a lawyer,even though i don't like them either, lesser of the 2 evils and all that
Cam

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Cam

As a matter of fact, they found my truck yesterday. I don't have any details yet, except it was found on the weekend in Vancouver. I don't know the condition--hopefully ICBC will find it worth fixing!:D :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
M Siebert said:
Hey sorry about your truck. Iwork in a bodyshop and just went through a T/L with my truck. ICBC likes to use the buy &sell, truck trader etc for value. They look at the year and that's what they say it's worth.They usually don't care about mod's, that's just my experience and two bits. I truly hope you have better luck.:angry :*******
Exactly my experience too. They consider things like new tires to be regular vehicle maintenance and so no increase in vehicles worth. How fawked is that ? What about some poor sap that has new 35 boggers or something. Also you no longer have first option to buy back your vehicle at salvage-if they find it(recoup some money by parting out) if its been stolen. You still have this option for writeoffs in P.I.C.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts