BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what a used turbo in good condition is worth? It's for a 1988 RX-7, and was purchased as a spare in the event the one in the car died. Are they commonly available at the wreckers?

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
1,269 Posts
I have no idea but if you're selling it I have a buddy who may be interested.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
All I can tell you is that a Turbo for a mid-90s RX-7 sells for around $5,000 (new).

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
1,269 Posts
I believe those are different turbos. Not sure though.

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
5,000??? I dont think so. First off you need to find out what kind of turbo it is, look for casting numbers and run them, it's most likely a t3 though. Turbo's can be found and bought from wrecking yards for pretty cheap, usually around 200 bucks but finding one that doesnt need to be rebuilt is like searching for a needle in a haystack. You need to see what kind shaftplay it has or if the shaft has any wobble. Also you need to know if it's oil cooled or water cooled, and if it has an internal wastegate or whether it requires an external one. Hard to put a price on a turbo without knowing at least a few of those things

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Originally posted by Toytrx:
5,000??? I dont think so. First off you need to find out what kind of turbo it is, look for casting numbers and run them, it's most likely a t3 though. Turbo's can be found and bought from wrecking yards for pretty cheap, usually around 200 bucks but finding one that doesnt need to be rebuilt is like searching for a needle in a haystack. You need to see what kind shaftplay it has or if the shaft has any wobble. Also you need to know if it's oil cooled or water cooled, and if it has an internal wastegate or whether it requires an external one. Hard to put a price on a turbo without knowing at least a few of those things
Have you ever looked at replacing one? I know a guy that broke both of his. He was lucky and repaired both for $2,000 but replacement fee from the Dealer was going to be $10,000 for both turbos. The turbos arn't just normal turbos...they have to fit and work differently because of the unusual engine.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
104 Posts
How did your buddy end up blowing both turbos? And all turbos work the same if their for diesels, twin turbo or single turbo, its those other parts I mentioned that count.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Well it might fit a honda 1.6L, and a brand new one is like $2000...it really isn't a high output turbo, how much CFM does it put out at what psi, the rotary are very small displacement motors so it doesn't take mush to fill up the 0.9L wankel rotaries in the newest prototype mazda 3 lobe jobie...don't expect to pack a big block with it...

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

·
1,269 Posts
I have a buddy who has a built '79 Civic turbo'd, intercooled, and fuel injected. He's running a Dodge Colt turbo on it right now (and it's faster than a 5.0L Mustang!) and I'm pretty sure he'd be quite interested in what you have there Greg. I will call him tommorow.

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
The turbo will fit any kind of motor, if you have the proper exhaust manifold. But de is correct, if it was pushing on a 13B then it wont do you much good on a 3+ litre motor.
Greg, head on over to these sites here and post an ad up, you might get more takers over there. http://revscene.net and http://importclassifieds.com

They're both Import enthusiast sites based in the Lower MainLand. Good Luck, too bad that turbo isnt suited for my 2.3L or itd' be sold already

1 - 14 of 14 Posts