BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the biggest tire size you can do for a Sammy with 462 gears but all else stock.

I have heard that 32 is the biggest you can go without breaking stuff.

Anythoughts?

-Flyboy

------------------
Learnin' Still Learnin' and always learnin'...bare with me!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this depends more on the way you drive, if you're easy on the go-pedal then you could get away with 33's, I've seen guys run 33" swampers, locked front and rear, and not break a thing.

To be safe, personally, I'd go 32's max. Make sure you have enough room under the fenders though, most breakage of seen/heard-of happens when you're tire is stuffed into the fenderwell.

HTH,
Robin.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I could not hace but it better myself, schmiot. I agree. All depends on how you drive, lockers, engine and so on...
The rule of thumb:
1 you're safe with 31's
2 you are relatively OK with 32's
3 you can get away with 33's
4 dont even think about it...
HOwever, it all ultimatly depends on YOU.

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough! I have...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Uhhh....

What do you mean by all stock? If you actually want to be able to turn, 30's is the largest you can go with the stock bumper as the tires will rub on the bumper mounting doo-dads (my 31's with good backspacing rub at close to full lock - gotta get $$$ for an ARB :*). Remember that under compressions your axle moves forward a bit due to the front shackle, so the rubbing will only get worse when 4x4ing. I assume you know this, but sometimes people forget about the bumper when they go to larger tires.

Technically the ratio for 33's vs. 27's works out to pretty much exactly 4.62's vs 3.73's. The extra weight puts a fair strain on yer components though, so I'd stick with 32's.

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
33's and 4.62's are a near perfect match for retaining stock like power (with stock tires). It gives you good highway speed and decent street driveability. On the trail it really isn't low enough though. You can make it work but you don't have enough slow go. 4.62's are actually stronger than 5.13's because the pinion is actually larger (has more material because of more teeth). Besides if you want to run a low geared t'case later you will actually still be able to drive on the street. 33's and 4.62s and a rock lobster (4.16:1 low range) is about the equivalent to 5.13's and 33's street rpm wise. 32's are a good fit but YOu'll eventually want bigger. I know I did and I started with 33's!

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
Personally i disagree with 462's and 33's. I run 462's and 31's. This seemes to be correct, 513's and 33's are like 462's and 31's. 462's and 33's suk for crawling and with 31's i can spin those puppys like a blender. Ive driven all the setups we're talkin about, stock included. BTW, 462's out of an auto sidekick

------------------
ZookPower

·
Registered
207 Posts
462's come out of an auto sidekick and 513's out of a standard sidekick

I run 462's with 32's... I find the crawling way too fast. I haven't been wheeling in about 2 weeks, and for the longest time my timing was wacked (out about 10 degrees), and had no low end power, so I had to get the revs up pretty high to have enough power. I'm not sure how much better I'm gonna be able to crawl now though.

------------------
'86 LWB, 6" SPOA, 32" mud kings, weber carb, 4.62, K&N, 2" exhaust, custom bumpers and roll cage, camaro bucket seats
FOR SALE!
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds good boys.
ya about the bumber I already know, I have 31's on there now. and when I had the stock shackles I got good rubbage, but I just raisied it another inch with longer Shacks and it dont' rub for now. I am contemplating removing the front bumper because the tires I have now are pretty much bald so with the new tires I will be getting probably just the right amount of diamater to cause the serious rub.

As For the 462's They were in there when I bought it so I dont' know how available they are. They seem to run nice on the street with still able to reach 90 km with out to much trouble and 100km when I really want to. Although it might take 5 mins to reach top speed. LOL

-Flyboy

------------------
Learnin' Still Learnin' and always learnin'...bare with me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts