BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to stick a 4inch body lift on my 91 Explorer. I am told I can fit 31's no problem with that but I was wondering with some fender mods could I fit 32's under there? I would really like to get 32's on it but If i can only fit 31's I guess thats the path i will have to take. Thanks for your help.:canadian

·
Registered
708 Posts
4 inch body?!? geez thats a lotta body lift. i suppose you could easily stick some 33's under there. but maybe someone that actually knows stuff about fords will answer and prove me wrong cuz i dont know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to have a ranger with a 3" body lift, and I fit 31s no problem. So with 4" I would think 32s should be fine. Mabey even 33s with some trimming.:)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
4inch body lift dont be surprised if the cop pulls u over and gives u a inspection but u could prbably fit 32s. ur axles probably wont last long thow eather. u should really cut that down to three inches.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Brentolsten said:
ur axles probably wont last long thow eather.
I don't know how much HP or Torque a ford explorer puts out.... but a Ford 8.8 is bigger than a Dana 44... I THINK.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Baby Joe said:

I don't know how much HP or Torque a ford explorer puts out.... but a Ford 8.8 is bigger than a Dana 44... I THINK.
The 8.8 will take it, its the TTB that will pop. Altho, a '91 should have the D35, it's still the weak link in the drive line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks for your help guys , yeah maybe I should step it down to a 3 inch suspension lift , dont want the pesky cops after me and mostly when , not if something goes wrong im prob not gonna have the $$$ to fix it. one other question. why would the axels wear out faster with a 4 inch body lift and not a 3 inch lift?
wait , hehe i got another question... or two. also i noticed with my transfer case when i push the 4hi button it goes in fine but when u got to put it in 4lo it wont engage , a mechanic quoted me an absurd amount of money to fix this problem but it happened a while ago so i cant remember how much he said , what could be causing this? and lastly how much should i expect to spend on on new warn manual locking hubs because i managed to wear out those stupid ford automatic hubs. thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A body lift will have no affect on axle wear, it's the bigger tires your gunna put on them. 32"ers shouldn't matter tho.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Rogue Bronco said:

The 8.8 will take it, its the TTB that will pop. Altho, a '91 should have the D35, it's still the weak link in the drive line.
If a Dana 35 is stronger than a Dana 30 like the name would lead you to believe, I'd think it would be good for up to 35's.

I know of LOTS of jeepers who run 35" tires and some larger on a front Dana 30. Front axles just don't seem to take as much abuse i guess.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
warn huns i think are around maybe a bit more i forget how much i payed. i thought u were doing a 4inch body but if its suspension stick with 4 but body go down to 3. 4s going to put alot of strain on the body mounts and what not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I payed about $400 for the warn manual hub conversion about two weeks ago, that was installed and after taxes.
I've also been running 35s on my ranger with the d35 and haven't had any problems yet, other than blowing the automatic hubs, and before that I ran 33s ,so I think it should hold up to 32 alright .

·
Registered
583 Posts
Exploder said:
wait , hehe i got another question... or two. also i noticed with my transfer case when i push the 4hi button it goes in fine but when u got to put it in 4lo it wont engage , a mechanic quoted me an absurd amount of money to fix this problem but it happened a while ago so i cant remember how much he said , what could be causing this?
Is your transmission in neutral?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does the automatic tranny need to be in neutral to shift into low range?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Exploder said:
does the automatic tranny need to be in neutral to shift into low range?
Yes it does and your truck needs to be at a complete stop. That will be $800 please. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well u see this is why im int he newbie forum , i just accuired that exploder off my mom and for as long as i can remember we have never even tried putting it into 4lo , and ur answer would explain why i couldnt get it to work when i needed it to work , thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
EXPLODER

You can fit 31`s on there right now, with probably only a slight rub on your inner rear fender walls, when off-road.

DON`T do a 4" body, unless you want to relocate alot of wires and brake lines. As a matter of fact A 2" body lift is as high as you should go without too much hassle. Trust me, I`ve been there. Also, you will have ugly gaps between your bumpers and frame, that are a PITA to get around. The 3" lift kit from PA has bumper relocation brackets, but they are [email protected]

If you want 4" of lift that is relatively easy to do yourself try a 2" body and a 2" suspension lift. Remember, your 91 is going to give you trouble when you try undoing those body mounts, again, trust me.

Even with 4" of lift, you will not be able to run with anything larger than 31x10.5s without problems with rubbing at your front fenders. I`m even pretty sure you would not want to even go to a wider tire without trimming your fenders.

Also, get some manual hubs if you want to wheel, cuz autos suck, and will most likely fail.
Other than that you have a pretty capable 4x4 there with the 8.8 rear and Dana 35 up front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts