BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What size wheel is this (15x?) and whats the widest(?)wheel I can get on it like for example.. 31x10.5x15's will fit yes(?) what about 32x11.5x15's? I'm a little new to the world of truck tires.. any help is great!
thanks,JS

·
Registered
41 Posts
looks a whole lot like my 15 inch factory wheels. It probally is 15 inch. Read the tire. the size is on the side of the tire. Ex. if it says 235/75/R15....it is a 15 inch rim, 235 is width of tire and 75 is hieght. Anyways, that rim can hold a 31x10.50x15 but that is the max i'd say. Mine came with that size tire and it looked silly. I took them off and bought some white spokes that were wider.

------------------
Loose nut behind the Wheel

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I knew they are 15's just didn't know how wide I could go what do you mean it looking silly in what way? thanks for the reply -js

------------------
"Momentum is key."

·
Registered
344 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but i think your he's asking how wide the rim is..and through a picture it's hard to tell...but let's just say it's a 15x7 rim like mine..with that in mind i'm currently running 32x11.5's on my rims with no problems...i know of another buddy that has the same rims as me and he's running 33x12.5's...

allan

------------------
93 YJ, 4" lift with 32's.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On my wheels, the size is stamped on the inside (not between the tire and the metal but where the wheel butts up against the drum)

------------------
88 4runner, 22RE, stock and slow for now...

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you really wanted you could easily get 35/12.5/15 on it even if it was 6" wide but its probaly 7" wide so you wont have any probs

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

·
Registered
83 Posts
those should be a 15x6 and as previously said, I wouldn't go over a 10.50 width. If you really want to improve the appearance, buy different wheels. ex-15x10 8-spoke painted whatever colour you want for $150/4
(the ones off my truck, checked for damage at tirestore, blasted, 3coats of epoxy primer, and your choice of paint)
Put whatever size tire you want on these and have WAY cooler looking truck and do better offroad as well.

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
302 Posts
pull the tire off the truck and look on the inside of the rim (from the back) ... you may have to remove a bit of dust/mud but it'll be stamped somewhere there (it'll say size and width as well as max load for the rim) My guess would be 15x7. a 15x8 is the perfect size for a 12.50 tire (allows you lower pressures without worry of loosing a bead) so if you really want a 33 or 35x 12.50 it should be fine on a 15x7 but don't put them on a 15x6 (in that case use a 33x9.50) ... best bet get some 15x8 white spokes (usually about $45 each)
Just my $0.02

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I meant by looking silly is that with the brand of tire I had on it... which was a 31x10.50x15, it looked like the tire was going to blow off the bead when I turned the wheels. I just didn't like them. Personal opinion. I put some 245/70/R16's on white spokes that I had laying around the house on instead. You can fit a 10.5 tire on that rim but in my personal opinion... i'd buy a wider rim. Perhaps those rims came in different widths. Best read the size stamped on them.

------------------
Loose nut behind the Wheel

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good info thanks!

------------------
"Momentum is key."

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's a factory 15x6" Toyota rim from an IFS truck, 1986-1988 (can't remember if it was available with the 3rd-gen body style or not). I wouldn't go wider than 10.5" wide tires; 9.5" works great.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you think a set of 31x11.5x15's are too big? what is the concern that they will blow the bead?... as you can see the tires that are on it are less then stellar to say the least ANYTHING would be an improvement I can't even get decent traction on wet pavement LOL...

------------------
"Momentum is key."

[This message has been edited by muddy_1 (edited January 19, 2002).]

·
Registered
161 Posts
The problem you will get from a tire that is to wide for the rim is that you will only ride on the center of the tire. You will not use the whole contact patch if a tire is too wide for the rim.

------------------
You havnt been wheeln' till you have been stuck

83 toy, long box, 22r, 35's, locked rear end, prerunner bumper, body work done bye sledge hammer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ex. if it says 235/75/R15....it is a 15 inch rim, 235 is width of tire and 75 is hieght. Anyways, that rim can hold a 31x10.50x15 but that is the max i'd say.

Just to go into a little more detail the 235 part means the tire is supposed to be 235 mm wide and the 75 part means that from the bead of the tire to the top of the tire is 75% of the width. So a 235/75/15 tire is 235mm wide and 733.5 mm tall or 28.8x9.25x15. ( assuming 25.4mm to an inch )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts