BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have herd that when people swap 86 or newer rear ends on to there 85 or older toys they will put spacers up front.Now how wide are the spacers ,and what will they cost,also could I put them on the rear of my 85 runner which has rear discs .

[This message has been edited by toyotaly chad (edited February 21, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by toyotaly chad (edited February 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
193 Posts
I *beleive* the IFS rear axel is 1.5 inches wider so the spacers are 3/4 of an inch each. All Pro sells there spacers for 129 US$ (!!!) plus shipping. A lot of people fab their own though.

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
I *beleive* the IFS rear axel is 1.5 inches wider so the spacers are 3/4 of an inch each. All Pro sells there spacers for 129 US$ (!!!) plus shipping. A lot of people fab their own though.
I thought it was 3" wider total...but I could be wrong

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmm. Well here is the quote directly from All-pro's site. Make of it what you will.

Our wide axle kit increases the width of your axle by 1.5" (3/4" each side). Can be used on front and/or rear axle. Especially useful for solid axle conversions to make the front end closer to the width of the second generation rear axle. Can also be used on first generation trucks and 4Runners to help reduce frame rubbing in rear and increase overall stability of your truck. Kit includes 1/2" by 20 TPI wheel studs and nuts which are larger and stronger than the stock 12mm studs. Spacers are machined from 356T6 aluminum.
$129 per pair for Pickup, 4Runner FJ-40, FJ-60

http://www.allprooffroad.com/wspacer.html

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited February 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a set of spacers sitting here; they are 3/4" wide for a total of 1.5" width increase. My 1994 rear axle is a total of 3" wider than the stock 1985 axle was. I think Ryan Comber told me that the stock front axle was wider than the stock 1985 rear axle.

The FROR kit uses some IFS parts and gets you 3" wider up front.

Who sells Dorman wheel studs p/n 610-144 locally? I did a Google search and the ONLY site that mentioned them was mine, which doesn't help me!

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
140 Posts
Greg,

Are you looking for longer wheel studs?
If you are, I have a few left over from when I did mine, since they came in packages of 5.

No one around hear seams to carry dorman

·
1,269 Posts
Uh, I don't know what you guys are smoking but I paid $10 a piece for my 2 spacers (that's a total of 20 beans, boys) that are 3/4" each from Tires Plus in Mission.

Never heard of having to replace studs for spacers that small, but this was on IFS. Does the IFS front have longer studs than the solid?

I was having a look through the parts book at the local Wakefield Sperling a month or so ago and I flipped past some kits that replace the studs up front and a bunch of other stuff but I just glanced at it quickly.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Originally posted by Greg:
Who sells Dorman wheel studs p/n 610-144 locally
Chris Bradley can get them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pete, for a solid axle truck you do have to replace the studs or there won't be enough thread for the nuts. Even if you don't 'wheel it! Personally, I'd check your thread depth, that doesn't sound right. 3/4" is a lot. Also, the replacement studs are 1/2-20 x 2 7/8" (uses Ford-style lug nuts), which is a slightly larger dia than factory, which is stronger, and you don't have to open up any of the holes. And for whoever is about to say they've never broken a wheel stud before, when I got my truck it had a total of 4 broken studs, 2 of them on one wheel.

I've already put 1/2-20 studs in the rear; I didn't need to, but it was a cheap upgrade, and after the front studs get installed, I'll have matching lug nuts.

Wheel spacers for $10 each is an unbelievably good deal, the machine work itself is worth more than that.

Doug, I'm not selling them, but if Mission is really selling them for $10 each then obviously that's the way to go. When you give them a ring, post your results back here.

Paul, where'd you get the studs from, and how much were they?

Thanks, Wil.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Greg , Chad here are you saying that you used ford studs ? and if so what did they charge you ?. Went to toyota and was qouted $8.18 each and I want to replace all 24 ,but not at that price.

·
1,269 Posts
Sorry Greg it was getting late, they could be 1/4", I'll measure tonight (just as soon as I remember where I put them).

If I do end up having to replace my studs (which it sounds like I will) can anyone forsee a problem with putting two spacers on one wheel?

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought Moroso wheel studs from lordco. I think I talked to Chris Bradley about the dorman studs, and he only brought a bunch of them in once for a guy. It sounded like he couldn't bring them in again. I took the part # down there but no one could order them. The Moroso studs are 1/2-20x3". There is 1/2" of no threads at the tops of these studs, but they do fit. they come in packages of 5, so Greg I have 3 left over that you could use, then you only have to buy 2 packages. Mopac usually carries these studs as well. I think they were somewhere around $15-$20 each pack of 5, probably closer to $15. Tire shops often carry them as well.

$10 each is a great price. I think I paid $20each for the aluminum alone.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The other bonus with the FROR kit is it allows you to use your IFS rotors and calipers instead of having to buy FJ40 rotors. Not cheap though.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I want the fullfloater kit FROR makes but it is to pricey.But that front axle widening kit isn't to bad.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you can find out the width of the spacer he uses, you can take it to Mission and have them build it for, say $15!

Chad, yes I used Ford studs; they are a bit stronger than Toyota. Don't remember what I paid; I think I got them from Lordco; the part# is on my website under Tech / Tune-up parts or something like that.

Paul, of course I'll take those studs off your hands!

Pete, why would you want two spacers? Your front track doesn't have to match the rear track, although it's nice in snow. Doesn't sound safe, a little like stacking lift blocks, but I don't really know. If you go too wide, you start having to worry about Ackerman angle, additional stress, etc.

Mike, that's only an advantage if you already have the IFS stuff! I'd have to raid 4OffRd or something as I have nothing from an IFS truck, except a steering box.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab

·
Registered
354 Posts
I want to pu some spacers on my fj40, anyone ever hear of how you do it? Ford studs again?

------------------
Jeeps are not for girls.
They are for BITCHES.

Mean 1980 FJ40 Cruiser

1 - 20 of 24 Posts