BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you would think that more people would be buying AM General's hummers. they are the perfect SUV?!!!?

------------------
Currently building up my 1990 4runner / 33"x12"s 3" body lift 9000LB warn ready to bolt on, and looking for suspention lift...?anybody?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah but you can pic one up for 60k and some of the new SUV's out there are that much right, why not get somthing thats more versatile and a fasion statment at the same time?

------------------
Currently building up my 1990 4runner / 33"x12"s 3" body lift 9000LB warn ready to bolt on, and looking for suspention lift...?anybody?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yah i geuse, i am just cureous. because they seem to be such a great vehicle, and that there must be people out there with enouf cash to drop on one.
(other than the gov.)

------------------

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by johnyfive70:
yah i geuse, i am just cureous. because they seem to be such a great vehicle, and that there must be people out there with enouf cash to drop on one.
(other than the gov.)

Yes there are people who can afford them. Those are hummers you see around town that are bananna yellow, have enough chrome to blind you, and have shinny sidewalls.

·
Registered
207 Posts
versatile? hardly... far to wide to be versatile. They are extremely well designed vehicles... very capable in the right environment, but there ain't many sand dunes around here.

------------------
'86 LWB, 6" SPOA, 32" mud kings, weber carb, 4.62, K&N, 2" exhaust, custom bumpers and roll cage, camaro bucket seats
FOR SALE!
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about the Hummers, I see the odd HummVee here and there, but give it a year or two and the Hummer II's coming out will be a popular item for the average buyer.

------------------
Pi$$ on the ceiling... Any ******* can Pi$$ on the floor.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you were to look at the turnover rate of the Hummer Dealers, that should tell you something. A friend who works at one of the past dealers says they were such a hassle because of endless problems and warranty work. I kinda figure that the reliability isn't where it should be for a vehicle marketed the way it is, regardless of the cost.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by johnyfive70:
you would think that more people would be buying AM General's hummers. they are the perfect SUV?!!!?
Hmmm.
-Heavy as 3 Jeeps
-Too wide to allow choice of line on most trails
-just plain don't fit on many trails
-very little suspension flex
-noisy
-huge center console isolates driver and passenger
-$$$$$$$

If blasting through Africa is your thing the Hummer kicks butt, but it's a waste of money for the type of "crawling" I do.

The H2 is more marketing gimick than serious 4x4. It's just a Suburban with a few options and a body kit.

There are a few wheeled Hummers around, but most are $60,000 penis extensions.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yah i see your guys's point,lol
but man, if i ever win the lotory and move to africa

WATCH OUT!
hehe

------------------

·
Registered
30 Posts
hummer's can go anywhere a Land Rover can go and some times do it better.....there's my .02
Besides you gotta like that CTIS
Oh and another think people rather spend 60k on a Lincon Navigator b/c unlike the Hummer it has CLASS

[This message has been edited by need*a*jeep (edited February 15, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Originally posted by Chris S:
Hmmm.
-Heavy as 3 Jeeps
-Too wide to allow choice of line on most trails
-just plain don't fit on many trails
-very little suspension flex
-noisy
-huge center console isolates driver and passenger
-$$$$$$$

If blasting through Africa is your thing the Hummer kicks butt, but it's a waste of money for the type of "crawling" I do.

The H2 is more marketing gimick than serious 4x4. It's just a Suburban with a few options and a body kit.

There are a few wheeled Hummers around, but most are $60,000 penis extensions.
Chris is right about most of it, but you have to admit that in their element, the hummer is pretty unbeatable, and no, their element isn't limited to sand dunes.

Here's some spec's in the Humvee's defense:
6.5-liter Turbo-diesel OVH V8.
37x12.5R17 beadlocked tires.
Approach angle 72°
16" ground clearance.
4 wheel disc brakes, 10.5" rotors
Snorkel option allows operation in 60" water.
Continuous operation in water/mud/anything up to 24" is fine in ANY hummer.
Central Tire Inflation System
Geared Hubs
Zexel-Gleason Torsen torque sensing/biasing differentials.

If WOLF359 (i think that's the number :p ) manages to get a post on here he might be able to shed some light on this.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Sure, the hummer has all the great features... BUT they are so loud, have so little room for their humongus size, are total slugs on the highway, are liver eating machines and have little headroom that i would rather see that 60k go into a killer build up project!!! apparently the diffs dont work all that well until the e-brake is applied and all that ground clearance doesnt mean much when tryin to climb a pointed hill as it will "turtle" itself with its huge size.

------------------
slightly modified pathfinder, still 235 tires soon to grow into 31's. Always remembering to KEEP THIS SIDE UP

·
Registered
18 Posts
My...My...So many comments about a vehicle most people have never driven, especially on trails. I have to admit that most Hummers are driven only on pavement, but there are a few of us who take their Hummers on trails just like jeeps and toyotas. I've never shined away from places like Hut or Wilson Lakes.
The Hummer is not the perfect trail vehicle but can still keep up with others with 2 jeeps strapped to its back.
Driving a Hummer is a lot of fun and one should actually drive one before making comments about its performance.

Gerry

------------------
97 Hummer 6.5L Diesel
Skid plates,armour.
4 gas tanks, 3 batteries.
HF,6m,VHF,UHF,GPS.
38" Swamper SX's.

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by yellowhummer:
.......The Hummer is not the perfect trail vehicle but can still keep up with others with 2 jeeps strapped to its back.
Driving a Hummer is a lot of fun and one should actually drive one before making comments about its performance.

Gerry

And they make great anchors for IFS Toyotas that insist on hanging off the edge of shelf roads..........

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well since you brought up Hut lake, how many windows did that trip cost you? And did you go to upper? This is a friendly ribbing...

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well what can I say? A few pictures say it all!
Thanks Dale and Ryan for posting those great pics.
Mike, I never said a Hummer can't take its share of damage.

Gerry

------------------
97 Hummer 6.5L Diesel
Skid plates,armour.
4 gas tanks, 3 batteries.
HF,6m,VHF,UHF,GPS.
38" Swamper SX's.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Heh heh, as Gerry can tell you, people either hate the Hummer or the love it. It really polarizes peoples' opinions.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.