BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put my 2 offroad lights on my jeep XJ. But i'm wondering if anyone would think it would be a bad idea to mount them on the hood of the jeep, near the back of the windshield, any thoughts??? I can't mount them on my bumper because the winch and the tow hooks take up the space.
Thanks
Jordan

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jordan

If your Jeep is a light color and maybe any color you will get a nasty reflection on your windshield if you Hood mount them. At best get tabs welded to your winch mount or how about some sort of roof rack option.

See ya Saturday

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Roof rack them.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done that, don't like them up there, its too much, prefer to have them at eye sight. What about the hood, my jeeps a brown, with scratches

Thanks
Jordan

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've seen a lot of YJ/TJ's with bottom of the windshield mounted lights and I think that looks excellent. That's where I'm hoping Corn's gonna install mine. I know you can get brackets for the wranglers, dunno about XJ's though.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Why use off road lights? Why not install and use approved driving lights? That way you can use them and not be bothered.

Off road lights are only legal for use in a place where you could drive a vehicle without license plates legally, and must be covered with opaque covers everywhere else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always wondered about the mounting lights for wranglers, but i don't know about the angle of them. As for better driving lights, well, i've got the offroad lights, so its cheaper, plus, i'd only use them offroad, and i've got covers too. Any other opinions about the the lights being mounted to the hood.
Thanks
Jordan

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
if you do mount them on your hood (which i would do) i would make sure they are intowards the middle not on the edge of the hood. this way they won't getted hacked at by branches and stuff which will damage your mounting point severily. when you do mount them make sure you bolt them through the hood them through a piece of 1/8" metal or so. this will also make them more trail proof.

ps. i am going to take my lights off my windshield hinges. by the time i got to the top of hut lakes last week they were pointing straight at the sky which was caused by the abuse of a narrow, bushy BC trail. too risky for me.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Gonna use those winshield hinges corn? Can I steal em?

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport

·
Registered
396 Posts
Skidmark,

Every highway hauling/logging truck that I see has "off road lights" that are at least 100W (the aircraft landing type) and not one of them is ever bothered. I have always wondered why these obviously non-approved lights are overlooked by the RCMP & MOTH.

I think that off road lights can help prevent accidents in many cases (spotting deer, pedestrians, up coming corners, etc) I think that 55W is the max allowed. Is this true? Oh yeah, I keep mine covered to avoid the fines.

XJman, I had some lights on the hood near the back and I got some reflections that sucked. I like the front bumper the best, just make sure they are not the first thing to hit when you smack something.

------------------
1983 CJ5, 8274, 3" lift, 235/85R/16,OBA,OBB!
1984 Chev 3/4 ton 4X4
1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4. The dragon's truck!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
You mean all I have to do is put covers on them? Geesh, how come nobody told me that.

Whats cool is you can get a fine even for having fake lights on the rollbar. Well I didnt get the threatened fine, just a checkup slip, so I pulled my non functional lights off.

Hated looking like mickey mouse anyway,

I've been toying with the idea of a clamp on light mount off my grille guard, then I dont have to have them all the time, but that'll have to wait till I build the grille guard.
How about a couple tabs sticking through the grill Jordan?

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled
69 Ford, Really big long term project
72 Datsun 510, old, ugly but it runs.

G

·
I've always liked off road lights mounted on the windshield frame personally.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with ichris4x4. I too like the lower windsheild mounted lights. I have a set of Pro Comps mounted on my YJ. I do have to say that I get some weird glare off the hood of my black jeep but it doesn't bother me at all. I'd say mount them on the hood, but cornjeeper made a great point about other objects (branches) ripping at them. Good luck.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Not all logging trucks have off road lights, and not all RCMP types leave them all alone.

Just ask around here!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
so over and above what comes factory we can bolt on a pair of driving lights and a pair of fog lights say on the bumper and dont need them covered correct? all my extra lights(pair of fogs and pair of tractor lights) use regular H3 bulbs in them which I think are rater for 55watts. I have socks over my tractor lights cause there pointed off to the side(used em for lighten up the side of the road and ditch) but I figure if I pointed em foward there small enough to be considered driving lights

------------------
-'85 XJ Pioneer, 2dr, 4cyl, 5spd, 31x10.5's, 2" lift
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's. bone stock(for now)
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

G

·
I think the official ruling on auxillary lights is that they must have DOT approval and be mounted no higher than the stock headlights to be "street legal". Correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
154 Posts
while not Jeep related it is light related.
I was driving my Jetta with the factory fog lights on as i went through a Counter Attack road block. as i went through the officer asked me to turn off my fog lights. i asked him why? he said it wasn't legal to have the fog lights on at the same time as the headlights and if i wanted more light i should turn my high beams on!
i asked him if it was illegal to have my foglights on with my headlights then why is my car designed from the factory to only allow the foglights to come on when the headlights are on?
the foglights cannot work without the headlights i explained. he gave me a confused look, but no answer, as i had expected.
then i told him, why would i want to put my high beams on when i don't need the extra light ahead of me hundreds of feet, but instead i need the extra light on the sides and directly in front of me?
this time realizing he had met someone not easily bested by half-truths and unchecked facts he simply waved me through the road block. the first smart thing that officer did that night in dealing with me.

i drove away snickering as he stood there alone in his confusion holding his flashlight.

( oh ya, i never did turn my foglights off either )

------------------
1988 YJ Laredo

[This message has been edited by Y-James (edited October 05, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
The Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations is silent about when to use or not use fog lamps.

It does say that the only time that you can use them in place of headlamps is when it is foggy, and that illuminating fog lamps must also permit the license, park, tail and clearance lamps to operate.

I have noticed that the newer vehicles tend to turn on headlights and fog lights automatically, and in one instance the salesman was unable to turn off the headlights and leave the fog lamps on. Really useful option in the fog!

One oddity that I have run into is that some trucks and vans are manufactured with fog lamps that do not comply with the mounting requirements of the MVARegulations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts