BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you go to peachland, hang a left at their only light. go up the hill following the signs to headwaters lake... all in there it is crisscrossed with dirt roads, some rough, and trails, etc. if you can find the road into tsuh lake (SW of peachland) that road is supposed to be fun, though i haven't made it in there yet myself.... good luck

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by 87Ranger:
I'm hoping for some directions to some trails around Penticton. Anyone?
There are a few trails to explore on the east side of Penticton, up the Carmi Valley road. There are some major (freeway size) FSR's that hook you into the highway between Rock Creek & Kelowna, but the off-shoots from these large FSR's can be fun.

In spring the roads further up on the plateau can get pretty muddy, so be prepared for recovery if you trundle down side roads and find standing water.

Depending on the year, you can find some washed out roads in and around Canyon Lake (and the fishing is excellent - take your "Off"!). You can't be too worried about your paint as some of these roads are overgrown with alder.

An alternative to the Carmi road access to the higher plateau roads is the Greyback Lake road. You'll find it by heading northeast of Penticton, off the highway that goes to Naramata - I can't recall the name of the road you take to get onto Greyback Lake road, but it's not that hard to find. There are a couple of off-shoots from that road that will test your metal. I recall going down one mossy road beside a creek, crossing the creek at the bottom and confronting some huge tank-traps that had been made 1/2 ways driveable by previous folks. That'd all be under snow at this time of year, but it'd be fun to explore if you have another truck with you in the summer. I have no idea where the road ends up, but it kept going up, so I assume you'd get to the top of a mountain sooner or later.

Even the deactivated roads up behind Chute Lake can prove challenging and fun - and the views are nice.

I've had great fun exploring in and around Penticton - there are a couple of short trails to be had on the backroads southwest of Penticton (up and around the observatory - which is a neat little side-trip if you've got your family with you). Be careful to stay on marked roads/trails up in that area as much of it is now designated a "wilderness preserve" because of its unique ecosystem.

Go exploring. You'll be amazed at what you find.

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey you can get in touch with the penticton trail seekerz. We go out 3 or more times a month. It's snow buy'n time so bring your boots and shovels. If your interested in joining us just e-mail me @ [email protected] I;ll let you know when were going again.

·
Registered
920 Posts
if ya find any trails to blaze up there in pen and want a lil extra insurance of another truck give me a msg @ [email protected] anytime. down here in osoyoos we have some pretty scenic and fun trails to i could guide ya around

------------------
well, so far a stock '89 pathfinder, mild lift, new gdyr at/s lookin for mods!

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you go to princten, just after hop on the kettle valley rail road, folow it may have to make some detures cause of the tresles they took out, but it good ride throught the cannyon to summerland, thats were you have to get of cause the tracks start again

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lots of good mild to moderate roads just after the end of the pavement at Faulder on the Summerland to Princeton road. One road goes up to Eneas Lakes Park and comes out in Peachland. A major powerline runs through the area and there are a lot of side trails.

The Headwaters above Peachland goes on forever as it connects to the Bear Road system. Last year while working up there we went in in Summerland and came out at the north end of Okanagan Lake near Vernon. Lots of mud on that trip in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.