BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting in my fresh rebuilt 22RE next weekend :beer

What header should I put on this truck for best bottom end\cost. I know the Downey's are good as well as other high end headers but is there a cheaper header that performs well considering the lower cost? I heard Hooker make a good header.

Also planing on new exhaust, including a new Cat, 2.5" exhaust but which muffler should I get and which Cat.

Who in the Lower Mainland\Vancouver area would you recomment for exhaust work?
:read

TIA

·
Registered
373 Posts
I run a doug thorley stainless steel.... very nice! but anyways 2.5" is too big for a 22re... go with 2.25" you and your motor will be happier!

:D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh right 2.25" mistype :)

doug thorley eh?... Hmm :cool:

·
Registered
944 Posts
i just bought a hedman and it leaks the bead that surrounds the exhaust ports on the head is not flat
i donno if i just got lucky or what but im gonna have to plain it

just my 2 cents on a hedman

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:(

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have heard the same. all my parts guys tell me hedman is crap because they made their header to fit such a wide range of motors. It doesn't really fit any of the applications it's sold for really well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had a hedman header and it leaked around the head all the time. I had to tighten it uppretty much weekly. It sprung a hole and I replaced it with a hooker header and it seems to be ok that was over a year ago.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i had hedmans on my mustang, they suck out the azz. they hit the engine mounts and the pipes werent even welded together at the collectors.my advise spend the money for a nw offroad or a downey or lc engineering.....up to you

·
Registered
300 Posts
I put on a Doug Thorley years ago, I've never had a problem since I've used the lead gaskets, the paper ones just blew out.
But if I had the cash I think I would buy the Downey. Or at least a 4 into 1. The tri-y design seems to not help until 3000 rpm, not exactly where I would like it. Good Luck....Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will be putting a LC Engineering header on my Runner as soon as I get some new studs.....should have been here last week:( Anyway, I will let you know what I think about when I get it on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yoda_Man said:
i just bought a hedman and it leaks the bead that surrounds the exhaust ports on the head is not flat
i donno if i just got lucky or what but im gonna have to plain it

just my 2 cents on a hedman

My headman leaks in the same place:(

·
Registered
100 Posts
We just put a set of PaceSetter Headers on my Dad's 92 Toy Pickup and so far he is totally happy with it. It had some kind of weird coating on it so it stunk for a while, but now that's all gone and he has more power out of his 22R. Working for Lordco, I had some time to look into which headers were best for the buck, and PaceSetter came above Hedman on the suggestion list.

That was only a week and a half ago now though... so there's still some time for something to go wrong, :D we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks People

I would appear that going cheap on a Header can really lead to disappointment. Sometimes the higher priced products are necessarily worth the coin but I am hearing otherwise for Headers.

So far Headman does fare well
Hooker seems OK after a years worth of wear.
PaceSetter seem great but this one's a week old :)

These seem popular for quality so what are their prices?

• Doug Thorleys $_ _ _.00
  • Downey $_ _ _.00
  • LC Engineering $_ _ _.00
  • NWOR $_ _ _.00

Others?? I should start a poll :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
My LC Engineering header was about $450 cdn including shipping......we'll see if it was worth it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a hooker header on my truck, it came with it when I bought the truck, but I can't seem to find a gasket for it. I've had no problems with it and its construction is pretty kick ass. If you can find one, lordco could'nt even help me out. I'm not sure what its worth....maybe $350? The stock gasket modified a bit and it worked just fine for me.:cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put on an lc engineering header about 2 years ago and I am super happy. Perfect fit no leaks and being that it is ceramic coated there is not even a hint of rust . The only thing I would do different is to move the o2 sensor fitting lower down on the pipe so that it can read all of the cylinders not just the number 2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a hooker header and i bought it through mopac in Surrey. It was over a year ago but im sure it was under $200

·
Registered
87 Posts
I finally got my lc eng header and 40 series flowmaster on the 4Runner. I am very happy with the header.....I have some more power and the gas mileage seems to be better too!

The muffler is a different story. All you have to ask is "Got rice?"......and I say "Oh ya". It is loud and sounds just like ricer:( All I need now is a wing and I am good to go:cool:

Oh well, I'm not going to change it, I'll just have to get used to it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts