BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a propane bottle which saved my butt the other day in extracting a broken bolt but, Its not hot enough in other cases. Is there another propane torch alternative that can heat up big bolts or bolts stuck in aluminum housings? I dont have a oxyacetylene set and don't have the funds to buy one.

buying one in the gvrd would be helpfull

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
MAP gas burns hotter than propane. You can get a cheap MAP/Oxy set meant for brazing from Canadian Tire etc. How well that works would depend on the tip size on the torch and the size of the chunk of metal you're trying to heat up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Instead of propane, get a MAPP gas set up. I know Canadian Tire sell kits (BernzOmatic)
MAPP gas is more expensive than propane, but burns a lot hotter. It would definitely be a step up, but not anywhere near Oxy-Ace.

Edit: Like Jon stated :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I see this thread started a mounth ago... have you solved it? Are you refering to stainless steel bolt into aluminium threads (warn). I wrecked a few allen keys witout any results, tryed to heat also witout mutch success , ended up drilling thems... had to rebuild holes and retread. This was PAINFULL!

the dilatation coefficient of the steel (assuming SS is not far) is about the double of the ALu, So I belive it should be easier to heat and unlock compare to steel on steel.
but the way that the socket head cap screw of about 3 inch long is totally enclosed, allow only to apply heat to the bolt and not to a nut... I guess that we would have to wait long enought so that the thread reash a heat value close to the bolt. I may be entirely wrong here and would like to see other explanations, im sure some guy with shop experience could help me here..
Also, about the gripping of SS, is it even worst on ALU?
Linear dilatation coef.:
1/K
STeel 12,0×10−6
Alu 23,8×10−6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.