BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Catchy title isn't it? I have a question and I would appreciate the opinions of some experienced drivers. What type of winch is better for me? I have a 1978 Land Cruiser, it already has the big ass winch bumper on the front. What type is better and why, PTO or electric? I don't even know how a PTO works, is it as versitile as an electric? What brands are better, Warn, Ramsey, etc. I will thank everyone in advance for there advice, if I get any. Thanks:read

·
Registered
382 Posts
Chances are that the winch bumper you have was built for a Warn 8274 ... this is an upright spur gear drive 8000# electric winch........ it is an excellent choice for your vehicle as it fits perfectly behind the bumper ( between the bumper and grille)

The 8274 is also one of the fastest winches on the market.( as in it winds in the cable quickly under no load and will keep up with you if you are driving/winching out of a mud hole etc....)

Another benifit is that if you choose to do a Saginaw power steering conversion to your LC the narrowness of the winch will not interfere with the steering box location. (as opposed to a planetary style winch that needs to mount up on top of the frame to leave room for steering stuff...)

it also holds 150 feet of 5/16 cable..... makes locating a handy anchor point easier to do....

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 8274 is great!! it will pull my rig out of pretty much anything, without any effort. The line speed is fast and on a Landcruiser it should be perfect........:) My 2c...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i second that! the 8274 is probably the best electric winch available. pto stands for Power Take Off(usually from the tranny or transfer case) 100% duty cycle ,meaning you don't have to let the electric motor cool before you can pull again, but the engine needs to be running in order to work. hope this helps, cam

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 8274 worked its butt off this past weekend and never gave up.

It pulled 5 stuck rigs one after another and did not hesitate.

I dont think anyone can say anything wrong about warns 8274.

as far as wich is better warn or ramsey they both perform the same way I guess it comes down to personal prefference, cost and availability.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts