BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple guys from the cariboo are wanting to try the whipsaw trail in mid may, is it passible ?
no one out of the groop has ever been there before and would like a little info!
we looked at pics and (utube) vids and seen there is snow in july. would it be ok to plan a trip for mid may or would it be better to wait till later in the year? if the groop drives down 5-6hrs and finds the trail under 5 feet of snow, there would be disapointment.
just trying to get some advise and info
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hasher, a buddy and I were thinking of trying it May long weekend as well. If there is five feet of snow we wont go but a foot or two with chains, lockers and winches it might be possible, maybe we could meet up in Kamloops and convoy.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
its been done before in dry years but we just got a few storms and might even get some more and at 6000 feet plus, the now doesnt just go away. if you have never done it, chains and lockes wont help you if you dont know where the trails is. getting of the trail at those sensetive areas is a no no. a copule of years ago i had to break trail in july and it was very easy to make a mistake and get off the path. it doesnt look it but just remember that things are much diffrent at those altitues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya if its a foot or two of snow we might give it a go, but not more. we dont know what to expect since wev never bin. so we need as much info as we can get from locals to make a desition.
thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the leader of the group heading down in May...We are experenced wheelers with dedicated trail rigs, most have done the Quesnel Canyon Crawl more then once. We must remember that it is over a month a way so trail conditions will change quickly.. My rig is a 70 bronco, 35" boggers, mini spool rear, locker front, 5.0 ho, 9000 lb warn winch 100 feet cable, 100 feet extra cable, 2 snatch blocks, VHF radio. Other rigs are a dodge with dana 60's, rear welded, 38" TSL, 440, and chains, jeep with 14 bolt locker, truetrac front with hand brakes, 304 AMC, 37" MTRs, 8000lb warn. Plus two more capable rigs, most will be trailered down.. I would like to know if their is a north facing slope that is where the 5 feet of snow is?? Is their a creek that turns into a river this time of year??
We are looking for people who have done this trail early for advice.. We are also looking to put our rigs and ourselves to the test of a difficult trail in a volitile time of year... Any help would be some help and thank you for the invite this summer..

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I'm the leader of the group heading down in May...We are experenced wheelers with dedicated trail rigs, most have done the Quesnel Canyon Crawl more then once. We must remember that it is over a month a way so trail conditions will change quickly.. My rig is a 70 bronco, 35" boggers, mini spool rear, locker front, 5.0 ho, 9000 lb warn winch 100 feet cable, 100 feet extra cable, 2 snatch blocks, VHF radio. Other rigs are a dodge with dana 60's, rear welded, 38" TSL, 440, and chains, jeep with 14 bolt locker, truetrac front with hand brakes, 304 AMC, 37" MTRs, 8000lb warn. Plus two more capable rigs, most will be trailered down..
None of this matters when you need a snowmobile to get through. ;)

I would like to know if their is a north facing slope that is where the 5 feet of snow is??
There are certain areas that are low and don't see a lot of sun.

Is their a creek that turns into a river this time of year??
No. But as already said, seeing/finding the trail with the amount of snow that will be up there will be very difficult for somebody new to the trail. Even with no snow, some of the trail is hard to locate.

We are looking for people who have done this trail early for advice.. We are also looking to put our rigs and ourselves to the test of a difficult trail in a volitile time of year... Any help would be some help and thank you for the invite this summer..
If you go as early as you say, then you will sure as hell get a challenge. BUT, you also won't get very far either.

If you guys do go, we'll have to get a BC4x4 pool together....."How Far Do They Make It". :laugh

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I too have done QCC in May.

Whipsaw is a different world in May than QCC.

Whipsaw is not a difficult trail unless you are driving a Subaru. May is just a snow suck time of year up there. Not to mention most May days are cold, windy and a bit rainy up there.

The weather has changed from winter. We got our Spring 2 months ago, its now winter. Summer will arrive some time in August. The mountains are getting snow nightly. It does not melt fast. Most nights it falls well below freezing, right up and into July. Makes it hard to melt snow in the best of times. The location of the trail is such that it takes a brunt of the storms that roll into the Okanagan.

Should you go, make sure you have good chainsaws, and lots of fuel, oil and the tools to sharpen them. You will be dealing with alot of windfall. We appreciate you cutting this out of the way for us on our later journeys though the trail.

From the sounds of your trucks, I would suggest siping the tires. Get out the grooving iron and have at er. Big, mono block lugs suck in the early year whipsaw conditions.

The Dodge? is Jarod going?

Build extra gas tanks for fuel for your thirsty engines. You will probably go through 3x or more what you think you will go through.

Build exo cages for all your rigs. The tree wells will suck you in. 3-6' tree wells are not uncommon. Slid into many, even in June.

winch and shovel, winch and shovel. This will be how each day goes.

With spring conditions and the "ultimate" 4x4 set up and people, you should be able to average 5-10miles a day of snow traverse and wind fall cutting. Do better and you are cruising.

Alot of those chiming in have been doing this trail for a decade or more. We are well aware of how trail conditions change on the Whipsaw in a month. Trail conditions deteriorate very fast, and only improve slowly.

Watch the weather reports. Watch the snow cam up at Apex mountain (same altitude but gets less snow than most of the Whipsaw).

and lastly.... keep in touch with Jordy. He is always back and forth between Maple Ridge and Tulameen most weekends. Alot of that time its over the Lawless FSR when its open. Its just north of the Whipsaw, so it is an indicator of the trail conditions. Jordy will be able to give that up to the moment conditions so help determine if its worth your while to even drive that far.

good luck and take pics

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the interesting info. As you mentioned how spring comes will decide how our trip goes. One other question is their enough winch points around or do we need more than 100 feet extra cable.. Ps the dodge belongs to Justin from the Cariboo area... Thank you once again..

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I think it would be a very cool adventure if your rigs are snow machines and you are really prepared. It could be a lot of fun. A lot of the trail is shaded/in the trees so there should be a lot of deep snow still and a lot of off camber snow fun. There should be some crazy snow drifts in some spots that the wind has blown into walls of snow in the open areas.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
But if they don't know where the trail is because it's covered in snow they could/will end up doing damage to the extremely sensitive terrain up there! And that's not cool.:shakehead:

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Thank you for the interesting info. As you mentioned how spring comes will decide how our trip goes. One other question is their enough winch points around or do we need more than 100 feet extra cable.. Ps the dodge belongs to Justin from the Cariboo area... Thank you once again..

if you have never done this, that time of year is not when you wanna do it specially knowing you dont know where the trail is. i think wes's comments were very optimistic. there is no easy way to deal with wet slushy snow. add deep ruts, steep slopes up and down and odds are very much against you.

if you have time, this thread will give you pretty much any info you need about whipsaw. quite a bit of information leading to the trip but its a long read. pictures start at page 161 and go all the way to the end.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?125091-whipsaw-july-08

if you like to know what it takes to get a vehicle out if you break down, check out this tread.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?115688-whipsaw-recovery-mission&highlight=whipsaw+recovery

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
No. But as already said, seeing/finding the trail with the amount of snow that will be up there will be very difficult for somebody new to the trail. Even with no snow, some of the trail is hard to locate.
No problem finding the trail...

a) Go to where all the trucks are parked
b) Wait for snowmobliers to head out
c) Follow them until you sink up to your frame in heavy wet snow
d) Dig, winch, dig, winch, dig, winch, dig, winch (you get the idea) until all the rigs are turned around
e) Drive somewhere there isn't any snow - maybe Moab - for a full trail run

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
No problem finding the trail...

a) Go to where all the trucks are parked
b) Wait for snowmobliers to head out
c) Follow them until you sink up to your frame in heavy wet snow
d) Dig, winch, dig, winch, dig, winch, dig, winch (you get the idea) until all the rigs are turned around
e) Drive somewhere there isn't any snow - maybe Moab - for a full trail run
My bad, guess I was thinking wrong. :laugh

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
hahahahahahahaha sorry well no , but most of the time there is to much to make it through. Wait for 240Jordy to post he is a local.
Here is what you may (lol) be facing http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?150889-Trouble-getting-through-the-snow-Try-making-an-8x8.
Don't think I need to add anymore to what's already been said.

We're still sledding up Lodestone and by the looks of things we'll be going well into May again this year!

June for trucks guys, even with 42" tires and ARBs I wouldn't try it!!!

:canadian

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks guys for the input. we might need to re-arrange our plans.
what would be a good wheeling "plan B" location? we really just want to get away and do some good 4xin to a new place where we have never bin. we are planning 4 or so days and want something challenging here in BC. we plan to trailer our rigs to or close to the destination, so a trail that makes somewhat of a loop would be ideal.
we are familiar with the Cariboo area but not locations in the lower mainland, okanogan, or kootnies areas.
any trail and destination input welcome.
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
i personaly try to lay low on may long weekend. its a gong show on or off road. LOL. what ever you do, dont head down
to lower mainland. LOL

if you want to do whipsaw this year, a group of us are going on canada day long weekend. you're welcome to join us.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Like I suggested, you could always go South, maybe not as far South as Moab; but Oregon might be a good bet. This is a good starting point: http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/index.shtml. Note, you will need to buy and display a permit. In return you get some great trails and facilities. I've not done their trails but club members who have done them have nothing but good things to say.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.