BC 4x4 Forums banner

whipsaw, july 08

664K views 3K replies 96 participants last post by  Bushman81 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
July 1 falls on a Tuesday this year. Would that be the weekend (June 30) or are you thinking the end of July and tying into the August holiday?

I was planning on going up towards the end of August with my boys but may bump it up to go with a group from here. Sounds like a blast!

#11 ·
Its a ---"sensitive grasslands area"---So we will be staying on the excisting trails etc !

You dont want to play around an break something up there as its a long way out as im sure youve seen the posts on whipsaw recoverys !

So Save the playing around to the first bit of the trail -aprox 30 km of fsr with offshoots and the last bit commin outa Lodestone as im sure noone wants to be the one that does soemthing stupid causing everyone going delays and hastles !

Breakdowns will happen but hopefully not from stupidity !

All that preachin being said -----------

The whipsaw is a beautiful area with many panoramic alpine type pics etc . I dont know if the weekend we are plannin will be the best for the wildflowers but when they are out in full bloom its breathtaking even for a guy !

So leys get this organized and have some fun !

Bruce

#14 ·
In like flinn...I think well OK then yes in for sure as we have the T-max tow rig with us.:)
So would there be any interest in starting the run from the far side ?(Past the big mine)
Also hows about limiting the group size to say the first 10 or 12 trucks confirmed.
We can increase that number if its all Toyotas:finger_1:

#17 ·
i wouldnt mind going in from coalmont also. that last stretch we went through cutting down through the switchbacks should be fun going up.

lots of trucks...no need for hwy 1 traffic. maybe one group can go the princeton way and the other go in the coalmont way..? meet up at wells & camp there..? 2 separate groups? ? toys and the have-nots? :finger_1: :laugh

you bringin the boys danny?

#16 ·
Sounds like a laid back type trip. I'd be interested in a trip like this. I've been interested in checking out that area for a while now. This might be a good time as there will be others there who know the area well.

#19 ·
glad to see there is much interest. yes the trip will be laid back and great for anyone that has never been to this area. as for kids, everyone is welcome. if the group gets too big, we can always devide into smaller groups an meet up at the camp.

the time will be the july first long weekend. i realize the 1st falls on a tuesday but hoping most people will take the monday off. this way we can take our time. i'm planning to leave friday moring but othes could leave satureday and meet up with the rest. i picked the begining of the season so there would be more moisture around. a big group could get nasty with too much dust.

as for starting point, i was thinking of the south side. this way we can go back through tulamin and get some more off road time and its a big loop so we wont be driving the same road again.(this way is actually faster and shorter). we could always camp in the tulalmin area as well if people feel like extending the trip.

many say that a stocker is ok. in my opinion, a set of 31's is min. specially if it gets a bit muddy. needless to say, make sure your vehicle is in top running order. the round trip from lower mainlan is about 600k and over 100k of it is off road so be prepared.

looking forward to this now. gonna be great.
:beer_cheers:

#20 ·
I think I could do it around then this year.
I have done it the last two years and was planning on going again.

i picked the begining of the season so there would be more moisture around. a big group could get nasty with too much dust.
I couldn't agree with you more on this.
First time I did it was late summer.
7 or 8 trucks
Diggin a bucket of dirt from my nose for a week after.
Gross.

We went back through Tulameen and it was a nice loop.
Did the coq. bypass to finish it off.

Having 4 days would be perfect.
I would be interested in leaving the Friday as well.

#25 ·
I think I could do it around then this year.
I have done it the last two years and was planning on going again.

I couldn't agree with you more on this.
First time I did it was late summer.
7 or 8 trucks
Diggin a bucket of dirt from my nose for a week after.
Gross.

We went back through Tulameen and it was a nice loop.
Did the coq. bypass to finish it off.

Having 4 days would be perfect.
I would be interested in leaving the Friday as well.
i went through with bfg last sept. 24 land rovers 4 jeeps and one VERY long day but i had a blast would like to go through and take it easy and see more sights

#23 ·
hey sass i might be in for this. wont know for sure till time gets closer. last years crawlin run was good , cant wait to do it again.

#26 ·
Its so much better if this isnt a rushed ride through !

Theres so much to see along the way ,and to enjoy !

As we get closer we will be able to see from the numbers involved and maybe split into groups ..

Gonna be a fun weekend !

Bruce

#28 ·
If you boys promise to stay 100% on the trail, I'll make an effort to show up. I just don't wanna be in a conflicted position (eg: "should I say something?").

I haven't 'wheeled with Chris and his big Bronco in a long time. Sounds like it will be a fun trip. Personally, though, I would think that a non-long weekend would be better. Less chance of other people on the trail and less conflict with family plans. Just a thought.

...lars

#29 ·
If you boys promise to stay 100% on the trail, I'll make an effort to show up. I just don't wanna be in a conflicted position (eg: "should I say something?").

I haven't 'wheeled with Chris and his big Bronco in a long time. Sounds like it will be a fun trip. Personally, though, I would think that a non-long weekend would be better. Less chance of other people on the trail and less conflict with family plans. Just a thought.

...lars
yes good point on staying on the trail. i guess could not stress enough regarding this matter.

we picked a long weekend so we can can take our time to enjoy the area and also have some spare time for socializing. some people can not take the friday off and this gives them a chance to still leave on satureday and meet up with the rest of the group. last couple of times there, we just rushed through and missed quite a bit. didnt even take any pictures.

hope you will joing us.
:beer_cheers:

#30 ·
To keep a little bit of organization, drafted up a list of who is going (yes', no's & maybe's). I will update it daily (or as close to daily as I can), so if you see info that needs to be changed or added, my e-mail is at the bottom of the list.

#34 ·
Ok, well mark me down as a maybe. It hinges on whether or not my wife has plans for us that weekend. If there's gonna be a really large group, the meadows about 200m from the Wells Lake "gazebo" will have enough room for everyone.

...lars

#36 ·
Throw my name on that list as a maybe Chris. You guys'll need the exploder out there to show you how it's done! :D

#38 ·
I don`t know most of you all that well, but I`ve lurked, and wheeled here and there. I can`t commit so far in advance, but I`d love to tag along if it`s a tread lightly sort of thing. I live in Hope now and had my sights on Whipsaw this year anyway.

I wanted to subscribe to keep tabs on it, The weekend looks somewhat clear right now.

Throw my name on that list as a maybe Chris. You guys'll need the exploder out there to show you how it's done!
There will be two If I come, cool, I feel like such a loner in mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.