BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see lots of setups for trail only rigs but what about daily drivers? right now i'm running waggy's all around and don't get me wrong this flex's great but i want more. i built my own rear frame (cab back) so it all fresh metal back there. i was thinking of stealing all the hangers etc. from a 4runner but make all the bars longer. it all seems simple in my head, but am i missing something? hows the vi thing with this sort of setup?

and i would be using chopped up rear waggies for it.

·
1,269 Posts
Mike C (whose setup is in the triangulated 4 link thread) daily drives his to work, but I don't think it's a very long drive. :D Unless you've got some bigass swaybars the body roll would NOT be fun on a long commute. Have you ever seen how small the links are on runners? You'd be way better off making your own.

I know it's off topic, but just out of curiousity, how much lift did you get from the waggys in the rear? You have a truck or a runner?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a truck, and for the lift i really have no idea, in the front i lowered the hanger 2" and move the shackle hanger below the frame so i could use the stock waggy shackles, the the little shackles folded over so i added the stock ones from the rear to the front to make a very small double shackle setup up front. i run a waggy 6 pack up front from a 83, and the rear when put in leveled the truck out once i put i larger shackles on.people kept telling me that it was going to drag the ass cause the rears are soa, but they are also that stupid upside down shackle in the rear so all the lift comes from the shackle reversal. also i think for the mean i going to cut down my shackle and add a 1" block

i decided on the waggys instead of chevys cause chevys are a litlle to long for me, hell the waggies are a little to long hence the wanting 1/4 eliptical. also i couldn't find chevy for under a $100.
i paid $17 us for the rear and $20 us for the fronts.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
BBP said:
Mike C (whose setup is in the triangulated 4 link thread) daily drives his to work, but I don't think it's a very long drive. :D Unless you've got some bigass swaybars the body roll would NOT be fun on a long commute.
You're basing your opinion of the ride of a quarter elliptical suspension based on one truck? :confused:
I've got no body roll to speak of (certainly less than other SOA Jeeps I've ridden in). It ain't no sports car but I had no problem letting my g/f hop in and drive from Langley to Squamish and back. You'll get as much or as little body roll as you want depending on your design for the suspension.

As far as 1/4 elliptical for a daily driver goes... I don't see a problem with it provided you have the time, money, and know-how. If you think you can throw some links in, chop up a set of spring packs, and call it done I think you'll be dissapointed with the results.

·
1,269 Posts
I should have stated that I was talking solely about Mike's truck (because I was pointing out his truck and not anyone elses). Didn't you say in another post that you have swaybars? Mike does not. Also, his suspension was not really designed for the street, the guy who designed it was shooting for maximum flex, not perfect streetability.

As far as having less body roll than a SOA Jeep, you're going to have to take me for a ride sometime to prove that to me! :D

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
BBP said:
I should have stated that I was talking solely about Mike's truck (because I was pointing out his truck and not anyone elses). Didn't you say in another post that you have swaybars? Mike does not. Also, his suspension was not really designed for the street, the guy who designed it was shooting for maximum flex, not perfect streetability.

As far as having less body roll than a SOA Jeep, you're going to have to take me for a ride sometime to prove that to me! :D
My suspension was designed the same way (for max flex). I could originally get over 5 feet of air under my rear tire and that's with 56" wide axles. I've since found that balanced flex is much more important and it makes for better performance on the trail.

I use the stock CJ front swaybar on the road but I run without swaybars on the trail. You're welcome to go for a ride anytime. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where do i buy these joints? princess auto? i figure i would just use square tubing for the bars. is the any length the bars should be? any sort of calculations i going to need?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Jr said:
where do i buy these joints? princess auto?
What type of joints? You can get johnny joints from 4offroad. Kaman bearing sells rod ends. Kenworth sells big rig sized tie rod ends. Princess sells tractor parts (top links, weld on rod ends, etc). All have been used in linked suspension.

i figure i would just use square tubing for the bars.
Round tube is easier to work with if you're threading something into the end. Square tube looks :******* IMO.

is the any length the bars should be? any sort of calculations i going to need?
Yes and yes if you're going to build it right the first time. Can't help you there though. I'm still learing that part. I get the theory and I know I can put together a better design than I've got now but my math is rusty.

I hope I'm not coming across as an a$$ in these threads. I'm still learning and I'd like to think I'm helping other people avoid my mistakes. There's lots of people out there who know more about this stuff. Where the heck are guys like Ben and Chris O.? :D:D They should step in here...

·
Registered
135 Posts
My truck is a dd. I only drive 5 min to work and back everyday. I have not been on the highway so I don't know how passing is. I have not seen a cop so I do not know how the VI will go. I work at cambodian tire and I read thought the VI book my truck will not pass. But there is way around that:D. My truck is alittle soft still but were still trying to work thing out. I think it fine driving it everyday.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont know anyone with 1/4 eliptical and was also wondering how leagal some of these major suspension mods are?My truck has sas and i was wondering which angle to take if i get pulled over(uh,yah it was like that when i bought the truck?or these trucks actually came with swampers and a strait axle)Any way it will be obvious with that type of rear suspension

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good question, has anyone got daily driver with 1/4 eliptical though a VI?:confused:

i'm holding back on doing it because that'll stick out real quick to a cop,

·
Registered
136 Posts
mike c said:

You can't have cut spings.

i have Never read that in the inspection manual,:rolleyes:
coulda missed that section though... apparently GM or Ford put out a 1/4e work vehicle back in the day... like wayyyyy back in the day.. before the days of the day. ..... :*******

·
Registered
136 Posts
anthonyh said:

So does that mean a 3/4 elip will not pass because there is a half spring on top. :confused:
People will pass 3/4e.. as long as it is pinned.. so i will Strap my 1/4E.. and that will pass

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.