BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so who in town can one trust to rebuild a 22RE with the knowledge and experience on getting these motors to run as good as possible. Can't afford LC Engineering but I like there specs.

What are the items that are a must for that engine other than the standard rebuild? ie pistions, cam - shadbolt 1144, head work, valve springs, Timing chain - DOA, etc. I also plan on getting a header, perhaps a Hooker, and later my intake done by that skilled guy in N Van.

How much $$$ am I looking at for full rebuild?

Oh this above mention shop would have to take VISA :soso

reason for this???

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No information!!!

Ok perhaps my question elicits to lengthy a response - new slant on original question.

If you had say, $2000 to spend rebuilding a 22RE what would you be sure to do other than the usually rebuild stuff? I am looking for good bottom end with power between 1200 – 4000 RPM. Daily driver, 33’s with 4.10 stock gears.

Any input?

Cam
Piston type
Head work
Bore and stoke – hey how about a stroked 22RE just like old 351W :D

Any specific Do’s and Don’ts?

Come on guys!!! If I screw this up you’ll have me whining and whimpering for advice on how to best work around my mediocre engine.

:violin

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I'm currently in the 3rd month (I work slow) of completely rebuilding my 22R. I first planned to do the bare minimum in repairing it but when I took it apart I realized that it didn't make any sense to do a half ass job because I had the engine out of the truck already.

I took apart the engine myself and will put it back together myself. I had NSOR machine the head (new genuine Toyota valve seals) and the block. Cylinder walls were in great shape on my block so only required honing which NSOR did for me. I ran into trouble with 2 head bolts breaking off flush with the block and was unable to remove them myself after considerable effort. NSOR removed them for me. Main bearing was shot on the crank and the trust washers were screwed so those were replaced. I bought a new OSK timing chain but ended up buying metal timing chain guides from Doug Butters of Trailmax and also bought a genuine Toyota tensioner (everyone told me to go genuine Toyota on the tensioner). Purchased new water pump and complete gasket kit. The front cover of my engine had been chewed through by the timing chain so that needed to be replaced also. This was the cause of the oil and water mix in my engine.

Plan to add a header and Schneider cam (off idle to mid range). Other than that my feeling has always been there is no sense in doing much more in HP mods to a 4cylinder truck engine. Previous to this truck I had an 81 that I had added various Weber carbs and a mid range cam to and it still was basically a gutless 4cylinder. I plan to save my money towards a 4.3 Chev for real power improvement.

For your case I would get lower diff gears to improve your situation, not engine mods.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wil said:
bought a genuine Toyota tensioner (everyone told me to go genuine Toyota on the tensioner).
Yeah I hear you there, that's what got me into this mess.

Hey what sort of $$ are you figuring?

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I'm already at about 1,300, no cam yet, no header. Just machining and parts. It ain't cheap to do this. In retrospect I should have applied the money to a 4.3 swap but I was under the delusion that I work fast and would have the truck running in short order...bwhahaha.

Btw, nice zinger Jordan:clown

·
Registered
389 Posts
if ya want i can do ,should take about a maximum of two weeks providing on parts needed.
but the toy 22r/re is an easy engine to rebuild.done tons and tons and they are all still running verry verry stong and hard

my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wil

Yeah I figure that for parts, I am not wanting to "build" this 22RE for I agree it's a truck motor. It can perform though, better than a stock set up. My thoughts are if I am going to spend say, $1300 on parts then I should at least spend an additional $300 and do it right, any more and I'd could be throwing good money after bad.

I will be wanting to get a header, intake and exhaust work to get this engine breathing better - which helps them lots - I just want to get some of the details right with the engine.

bravenight

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep you in mind. Just researching at this point. :read

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
pony said:
Wil

Yeah I figure that for parts, I am not wanting to "build" this 22RE for I agree it's a truck motor. It can perform though, better than a stock set up. My thoughts are if I am going to spend say, $1300 on parts then I should at least spend an additional $300 and do it right, any more and I'd could be throwing good money after bad.

I will be wanting to get a header, intake and exhaust work to get this engine breathing better - which helps them lots - I just want to get some of the details right with the engine.
I'm not sure what you mean by doing it right? But you aren't going to get a lot of performance parts for $300. I don't think that will even buy you a header nowadays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts