BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've often wondered what kind of person would buy a new 4x4 and take it offroad.
i mean really go off road, not some glorified logging trail or gravel pit.i have trouble here.i must be in my own little universe. to buy, or worse lease a 4x4 then go to finance a bunch of goodies to make it look like a real "offroad unit".i'm thinking alot of the ones that do this actually just find a mud puddle or maybe a good little hill to perch there "new" wagon on then get out.take a raft of pictures,then post them all over the internet for everyone to see.just so they can have a trophy to yap about.aw heck, maybe i just read too much into stuff sometimes.happy wheelin':violin

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Why buy a new 4x? Once you decide on what you want and then when you see the stupid prices people are asking for used, the answer becomes a simple one.

My family has been in this position a couple of times. Wanted to buy used to save a couple of $$, but it just was not worth it. It was more cost efficient to buy new.

Besides look at it this way. All those pampered pavement 4xs out there are just rolling parts trucks for us.

Wes

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I looked at the price of a used TJ, looked at the life span of the vehicle before major repairs, and worked out a reasonable "true" yearly depreciation. When I discovered that the savings on a used TJ was less than the true depreciation I decided it only made sense to buy new and know that the rig was well maintained from day 1.

Another way to look at is that a broken axle shaft costs the same for a new TJ as it does for a used one, so who really cares which you have.

The advantage of buying used is that you have lower monthly payments so you can spend more on goodies, but in the long term the used rig will need major work sooner, so it all evens out.

I'm not super "hard core" with my TJ, but those that have wheeled with me know I don't shy away from tough stuff.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We are a one vehicle family thanks to skytrain but if we needed another vehicle I could get my wife a Honda Accord? Perhaps a Camry??

NO Way I'll yank the 33's and 3"lift on my 4Runner, bring it back to stock, she can drive that. I'd rather spend that 10K buying someone elses finished rig :D

How could you really enjoy wheeling when you've dropped 40K into a beautiful truck. I'd love to get a new SUV but I'd be so limited as to where I could wheel.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I guess it's just a matter of attitude. I don't intentionally wheel in places where damage is likely, and I will winch rather than take a serious chance of damage, but I would be driving that way no matter what my rig was. The supposed value of the rig is immaterial to me.
Like I said before, damage costs the same $$ to fix regardless of the age of the rig, so why should it matter to you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I spent 3 painful weeks scouring the lower mainland looking for a decent used jeep wrangler.First I was looking for a YJ early 90's and couldn't find a 6cyl hardtop (hard doors) at least one that wasn't thrashed and when i finally did they had 200 000+kms on it and they still wanted $12000 for it.So I started looking at 97 and 98 TJs and there price tag was consistently 17-20k I knew I was going to lift it and put 33s on so I wanted the dana 44 in the rear and the 3.73s hassle,hassle,hassle, bit the bullet bought new and I would never think twice about wheeling it hard (have and will continue to do so) new or used its a JEEP it's what their good for.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Here's another way to think about it.

Look at the rig on the bc4x4.com home page. I bet that thing cost more than my TJ ,and it is used in competition where flips are normal.

Race cars cost tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet they are at risk every time they go on the track.

Even the home built street stock class drag cars are risking a blown engine and tranny every time they race.

Some guys destroy a rig every few years (or months). It makes sense for them to use old trucks that are "disposable". Beyond that the only reason to buy a slightly older Jeep is that if you can't afford a new one plus mods then you are better to buy an old one you can afford to play with.
BTW, I am thinking for an average person, not guys who can do all their own engine rebuilds, etc. If you are a mechanic then old rigs become cost effective.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if i could i would buy a new rig at the beginning of every project... think of it, no rusty bolts, no muck built up everywhere, no surprises. but i can't, so i don't. but maybe someday...

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Ill probably never buy new. Bj60s and FJ40s arnt made anymore:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts