BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as the Dodge section is (to put it kindly ) rather slow and as the gentlemen and Ladies? of the nissan section are taking ample oppourtunity to slag and berate the longstanding and Mighty marque DODGE! I thought that perhaps we could do the entire BBS a service and list a number of reasons an otherwise sane person would spend (presumably) hard-earned money on a truck make that leaves so much to be desired in terms of 4x4 ability, resale value, and overall stoutness. It would seem that perhaps there is only a little bit of envy on their part, Dodges have ( almost ) always rolled out of the factory with the best and strongest axles and drivetrains available anywhere eg: D 60 front axles,D80 rear axles 727 torqueflite auto's ( they use these in motorhomes!) NV4500 to 205 (behind a cummins FACTORY!)any questions? Nissans of any breed simply do not compare,in fact swapping some axles out of ANY dodge would be a major upgrade to a nissan allowing you to be finally freed from the alarmingly anemic factory axle arrangement. Perhaps a NV4500 and 205 could be considered stronger than the nissan offerings? Oh yeah! need I continue?

------------------
It's only metal,Man

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I was just trying to stir the S*** a little , didn't mean nothin by it it's just that the Dodge section is so darn slow that maybe we could lure some Nissan folks over for a little back and forth razzing ? it was all going according to plan and then iMAGe(also apparently a Dodge afficionado) took things to the basest of levels and I would like to say that I do not agree with his attitudes at all! the man? is a total moron!
enough said.

------------------
It's only metal,Man

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by AIRZUKI:
Dodges have ( almost ) always rolled out of the factory with the best and strongest axles and drivetrains available
Um, but what about some of their freaky 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern stuff. I've read that some Dodge versions of D44s (or D60s...can't recall exactly which) are inferior to GM or Ford versions. There was a fairly recent 4x4 mag that had a discourse on the pros and cons of various Dodge parts.

...lars (helping you stir the pot - live from Las Vegas)

------------------
1991YJ9540HOTF999D3004:1D444.10DetroitD444.10DetroitSOA3512.50ProCompMTs8274Rhino

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lars that's why I said "almost" , my 'charger came from the factory with one of those front axles but the previous owner kindly swapped it out for me (thanks Steve) before I bought it from him. the unit bearing in the "notorious" front axle is suprisingly similar to what a D30 jeep is rolling on , it's probably strong enough as long as you keep the stock 235/75/15 tires on it , are the ford and chev 44 axle outers stronger? absolutely! that's what I am running now (pirated off a '90 suburban) BTW how is Vegas treatin Y'all?

------------------
It's only metal,Man

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by AIRZUKI:
BTW how is Vegas treatin Y'all?
The "prize girls" are all quite alluring, as you can imagine. There were some cool new products that you guys might've appreciated and a lot of new Jeep-specific stuff that would probably bore you.

Of particular note is the Warn hub fuse which, unfortunately, isn't recommended for Detroit No-spins because the sudden shearing of the fuse could damage the No-spin. Can you explain why this would happen with that locker and not with a Lockright or EZLocker or spool? It has something to do with the fact that the Detroit No-spin is spring loaded but without a working model in front of me, I can't visualize it.

...lars

------------------
1991YJ9540HOTF999D3004:1D444.10DetroitD444.10DetroitSOA3512.50ProCompMTs8274Rhino

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lars, in regard to the "hub fuse" (an idea that Ned Bacon proposed in his article on Warn alloy shafts a few years back) the only problem that breaking a "fuse" could cause is the rapid engagement of the dog clutch teeth could perhaps cause a stress crack? this would not be a problem with a spool, on a lock-right or sleazy-locker the dog teeth are a lot less aggressive so it may not be as big a problem?

------------------
just typing my inner monologue, again? won't somebody answer that damn phone!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts