BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone positive about the proper width for the straight axle to replace an IFS unit in a '92 pick up. I know they say 1.5 inches wider than the early straight axle, but I have no early straight axle to measure.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
the ifs is the same track width of the 86+ axles.
and its 1,5 inches wider per side (3inches total) than an 85-

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

[This message has been edited by gumbom (edited March 10, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
I heard somewhere it might be a bit wider than the '86 rear even. Not anymore than an inch or two though.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no early straight axle to compare to. I do have the measurement from the rear, generally how much wider is the front than a rear?

·
1,269 Posts
I'd measure mine but I cut it out of the truck. Sorry dude. I know that an '85 front and rear axle are 3" shorter than an '86 and up rear axle. The front IFS is probably roughly the same size.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
oops mis read your post, the early axles are 55inches and the later are 58
as for the replacement are you getting something custom made or just looking for somthing close?
try to find a front axle out of an 94+ landcrusier, high pinion front diff and elocker in one!!!

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are custom building a D60, 4.56 ARB, high pin, high steer front and a D70 4.56 Detroit, disc rear, behind a stroked LT1, NV4500 and a bit of a hybrid case. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
IFS

------------------
81 3/4 ton chevy w/ 7" susp lift & 3" body lift
NEW 35" mud-terrains, pro-comp off-road lights
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts