BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a few friends tried to get up to Wilson on Saturday. We read the article in the latest Can 4x4 about it. The trail was awesome, real tight and grown in like they said. WE never actually got to the lake though. We came to the final bridge where the road splits into dead ends but could not find the lake. I am assuming we should have hiked up the stream a bit???? HAs anyone been there befor? The trail was so good I would be willing to do it again in the future if I new how to reach the lake. The trail had been run the week befor. Someone left a note on a rock saying "Nathan man made hole-challange". Looks like they had a big brake problem too as there was a pool of fluid and an empty brake fluid container:angry We cleaned it up. Would have appreciated some slightly better directions from the mag as well. I mean come on, there is like 12 trails within 400 metres of the skiliwepi (or whatever the river is called) bridge.

·
Registered
145 Posts
when Al from can 4x4 asked me to write the artical i thought that i had covered everything in the write-up. guess i forgot that one thing. though i thought the maps i included did show that you had to walk through the trees into the lake. sorry if the maps didn't show that.

steve

·
Registered
358 Posts
We were up there on Sunday, met a couple of guys on ATV's. They said we were Fu*&in' nuts for driving up there.
At the bridge where you park, the trail is just to the right of the stream, only takes 2 min to walk to the lake.

Can you buy cut polish in a case?????
Man that was nasty........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys, can someone answer some questions on Wilson Lake? From the article (do not have it in front of me, going by memory) it sounded like there was an open area near the lake to camp. However, by the sounds of your "trail talk" here, it is a hike in only, no vehicle access to the lake. We have a trip planned for the area next weekend (stag), and we were hoping to wheel in and camp a few nights for my last weekend as a batchelor, and try a few different trails as well. This area is realatively new to our group, yet I've wanted to explore the area for sometime now. One of the other areas we wanted to possibly try was Sloquet Hotsprings or the other one.......Clearcreek or something?!? Anyway, if we cannot camp there, can someone suggest a good location that is similar or centrally located to some good areas? Any info would be great! thanks,

CB

·
Registered
358 Posts
The only area to camp is bassicaly the parking area which is a walk to the lake. I didn't see any camping area on the lake. Kind of unfriendly in that way.

I see by your sign. that you drive a full size, just to warn you in advance, we were in XJ's and a Toy and the road is very overgrown which isn't nice to the paint. Course we don't care about that sort of thing........ some do.

I just found these pics on the net, this is what the lake looks like. If I get my film developed tonight I'll send you some better pics.
http://www.hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=1816041
Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info and the pic. If you have more, great! Need not worry about paint jobs here, mine truck already looks like I can't tell the difference between a sponge and an S.O.S. pad. Thats why I bought 'er!

:canadian http://www.superford.org/registry/index.php?vID=1044

·
Registered
123 Posts
scratches

I took my dodge up to the lake, its very overgrown and my truck is scratched to **** but that comes with having a fullsize. If you have a fullsize and are worried about scratches and possible body damage this trail is not for you. :******* :beer :canadian

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you could camp in the clearing just befor the lake but you are going to be limited to how many vehicles you can bring. The area is not very big. Probably slightly smaller than a basketball court. People definetly do camp there, just don't expect to be able to fit 6 trucks with tents and people. If you do go, please don't leave any trash. I was amazed at how clean this trail was. The only man made garbage was the previously noted brake fluid can and maybe 4 beer cans along the whole trail, I was very surprised.

The next time someone goes up there could you maybe make a sign with an arrow pointing to the lake?:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
If we head up there this weekend as planned, I'll post a sign.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for place to camp in the area? Doesn't have to be right there on the Wilson trail, just good spots in the West Harrison "playground". We are new to this section of the lower mainland, but are eager to explore! I have heard of people camping alot at the 20 mile bay area. Is it a good spot?

·
Registered
155 Posts
this is a fun trail i got many scratches but before i went i did a real thick wax on it so not too bad just spend a lil money get some good cut polish and a buffer and good wax and you will get your truck looking new again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
boy was that trail ever fun,and very clean.we went a month ago when the magazine came out.sometimes you werent even sure if you were on a trail.lots of rocks several tight water crossings.even though we did it alone it would be smart to go with at least one other vehicle.we were in a toy with 35's and really had no problems there isnt alot of area for camping and really no vehicle access to the lake. a couple of trails (walking)but no fishing unless you have some kind of flotation device.as there are lots of trees to snare up on you would need to get out on the lake.a fun time though expect a full day of wheeling and not a lot of people we saw no one the whole trip once we got on the trail.:canadian

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey if anyone is ever heading up there again give me a shout I would love to see this trail.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wilson lake its a cake walk:*******
Seriously its a good trail but there are many better to run.
Try the tamahi creek fsr there is some nice spurs of this one that will get you blood flowing. as well add to the decorative pin stripping we all try so hard for.
as for cut polish why bother man if your wooried about pinstripping stay on the fsr and off the trails.:violin

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not a great trail, pretty easy with only a few sections that you have to lock it in and long sections that are painfully slow just due to bumps. Very grown in and to top it off...the fish are tiny in that lake, which you can't even camp on. Many better options in my humble opinion.:(

·
Registered
529 Posts
You guys all have these "better options", but what are they? If someone wants to tell me Id love to give them a try. Im only 20 but I promise that i wont beat the trail or leave garbage. In the defence of my age group I know most of us are pritty ignorant when it comes to the great out doors, but last time me and my friends went wheeling we brought out more garbage than we brought in. Thanx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.