BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side wiper on my sami is starting to crack throught the sheet metal on where the wiper goes through to the motor underneath. I was just wondering who else has had this prob and how did you fix it?
When the wipers go in the down stroke it goes off the window and gets stuck on the moulding on the way back, i have to drive with just my driverside on on the windo and the other one in the air.

Rhys

------------------
1991 Samurai
SPOA, Rocklobster, Warn 8274 winch

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by Rhys:
The passenger side wiper on my sami is starting to crack throught the sheet metal on where the wiper goes through to the motor underneath. I was just wondering who else has had this prob and how did you fix it?
When the wipers go in the down stroke it goes off the window and gets stuck on the moulding on the way back, i have to drive with just my driverside on on the windo and the other one in the air.

Rhys

The crack itself shouldn't cause your wiper to go out of it's place (the arm itself may be loose on the shaft or badly worn out); at first it causes leaks and such (which I've learned to simply ignore :). After a while the crack gets bad and weakens the windshield frame, so you want to repair it eventually. There's a stainless steel kit available from RRO, or what you can do is to take the frame off, and dismount wiper mechanizm completely. Be careful with the little alu. cast fittings that hold the wiper shafts....the nuts (24mm I think) tend to weld themselves solid to the casting) Next find a piece of sheet metal appr. 2"x2"x3/32", drill a hole in the middle - same dia. as original hole in the frame.
Now place that piece to the back (inside) of the frame, align the holes and spot weld around. You could do IMHO with an epoxy, but I havn't tried.

Let us know how it went,
IHIH

------------------
-marker

[This message has been edited by marker (edited October 22, 2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts