BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lets face it summer is coming to a close. The last long weekend of summer will be upon is in less than a week and already I have noticed the days getting a little shorter. So I wanna hear what projects you guys have planned for the winter. I will be taking the runner off the road for a few days in mid-Spetember/early October in order to install hysteer x-over and a front drop hanger. By next June I hope to have an IFS rear axel with v6 centre sections front and rear......if all goes well funding wise. Knowing me though I will probably break something during a snow run in the winter.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
ive got a lot of stuff to do to my 82ish toyota pickup....
-4 link 1/4 Elliptical Rear end with the IFS rear axle
- fix my spring hanger in the front,, probably do a shackle reverse..
- in cab cage.
- buick 3.8 litre V6 attached to a SM465 4sp trans, then a toyota mini truck t-case is getting mated to that.. made the Splined coupler, just have to build the plates for the adapter.. :p
-put the IFS hubs on the front end...

so much more.. so little time

·
Registered
394 Posts
What I'd like to do and what I'll actually get done are two completely different things... :( ;)

'82 CJ5:

Just a few little odds and ends for now.
Front and rear bumpers since it doesn't have any at the moment.
Weld front and rear, and find some lower gears.
Maybe tie the roll bar into the frame since the body is falling apart.

'87 Samurai:

This is the main trail rig project, and I'd really like to get this thing put together for Moab in April, but I'm not holding my breath:

Narrow track Dana 44 rear (have two in stock :******* ).
YJ Dana 30 reverse rotation, high pinion front, converted to passenger side drop, and using CJ shafts, knuckles, hubs, brakes etc. (have all parts plus spares in stock...just need to do the conversion).
Engine looks like it be a toss-up between a Volvo and a GM 4-banger.
Transmission would depend on the above.
T-case also depends, but could either be a Dana 300 bolted to some kind of truck 4-speed, a divorced converted Dana 300 (if I can figure out how to do that) or a divorced Toyota case.
Front end gets flat fendered, and new grill with the lights closer to the rad.
Rear end gets tubbed.
YJ flares all around.
Roll cage, bumpers yada yada yada
So far plans are for 34x10.50 Interco tires
Lots of little details in the works of coarse...

'74 J-20 flatdeck:

Again, maybe wishful thinking, but it would be nice to use this as the tow rig for the Samurai for Moab.
Has some serious cab rust, but I could deal with that later I guess.
Currently just needs my 360 installed to replace the one that came out of it.
Needs brake work and tires.
Eventually a ground up restoration would be nice.
I need to weld up a removable sleeper for the flatdeck to be mounted behind the cab.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also need to get to work on my portable work shop:

Just need to rig it up for mounting on the flat deck behind the sleeper.
Outfit it with a full complement of tools and spare parts.
The portable shop will consist of the following big ticket items:
Chop saw, band saw, hydraulic press, welder, torch, air, and a 5000 watt generator....and anything else I can jam in there comfortably.

Sami tow trailer:

I already have use of one car hauler, but I'd like to build a smaller one just for the Samurai. I have a heavy duty boat trailer I'll probably be converting for that purpose.

And how do I purpose to do all this...why, with MAGIC of course:

Hmm....have other projects, but that should do for this winter anyway. :p

Did I mention I like to day dream? :clown Well, I have most of this stuff, just a matter of actually putting it together.

Now get to work gawd damn-it.... :welder

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm hoping to pick up a cheap Scout this next week. This winter, depending on time and funds, hope to do a spring-over, gut the interior and rhino-guard, and generally prep for spring.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
umm...... I plan to build up a new motor for my pickup.

should be picking up a core to rebuild in a couple weeks. not doing much to it though. 30 over(or whatever it needs), mild cam, 4.0 head, gasket match the ports.

might look into a spring over for the front, I hear that chevy D60 fronts are spring over and bolt in. but are they driver side diff?
not likely to happen but if that does happen i'll be doing shackle flip in the back before continuing to lift to match the front. if that actually happened i'd be going probally with 35" tires but may not be big enough to look proper :*******

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Just picked up a 87 Samurai...first 4x4. My "project" is learning how to wheel...damn...I picked a bad season to learn!

Learning is pretty much my whole project...from how to actually wheel, to how to fix stuff.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Last winter.... and the one before that....

I'm in the same boat as BBP. 'cept my truck just had it's two year anniversary...

being off the road and in the shop.

The 'con is calling my name next summer/fall so this winter means the samurai gets "finished". What's left to do? Finish off the rear three link, start and finish the four-link front. Build the underdrive, driveshafts, steering linkages, regear the diffs, build a fuel tank, cage it, build a tube front clip, build a new transmission tunnel, bumpers, oh and try to get everyone else's trucks ready at the same time. Who am I kidding, it ain't going to happen! :baby :******* It makes me wonder what I've been doing for the last two years?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hmmm winter project!!!

Go Snow Wheeling You Silly Rabit!!!!

LOL Well actually It will be a solid axle swap into the kick and possibly a new engine/tranny combo. Who knows. The things I would build if I was rich.

·
Registered
363 Posts
C'mon Hamish,

You know your winter project is to help me get the Cruiser ready for the mountains! (IF someone would buy the 4runner!!!)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here are my wants(until spring layoff nothing will be done or bought).
383 stroker, 14 bolt rear, dana 60 front, 3in body lift, swap the 4in springs for 8in superlift kit, weld up my floor, get a good tailgate, 38.5 boggers, and brand new paint(probably tremclad again). Too bad in reality i will probably only get the tailgate in, body lift installed and the floor wleded up then i'll tow it behind the new vehicle i've been considering??:mullet

·
Registered
134 Posts
Truss both front and rear, finish my custom safari rack and re attach my swing away tire carrier. Also, put a floor, storage lockers and driving console in my boat!

Let's face it dave, your truck will see it's silver anniversary in your shop!!:laugh

·
Registered
708 Posts
well i want to run 3/4 elipitical in the rear or revolvers, Do a SAS, pick up some 33" muds Spool in the rear. Maybe start bending pipe for an exo but thats a maby!

·
1,269 Posts
PoorMans4x4 said:
well i want to run 3/4 elipitical in the rear or revolvers, Do a SAS, pick up some 33" muds Spool in the rear. Maybe start bending pipe for an exo but thats a maby!
I have half-leafs and u-bolts for a 3/4e setup that I will not be using if you'd like to give me a bit of cash (to offset the cost of the ubolts and the new bushings). Some projects are better done before winter. :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
yeah ill buy the leaves and all, i just gotta get my lift in for now, im in no real big hurry, unless you really realy wanna get rid of them quickly could you hold on to them for a bit?

·
1,269 Posts
PoorMans4x4 said:
yeah ill buy the leaves and all, i just gotta get my lift in for now, im in no real big hurry, unless you really realy wanna get rid of them quickly could you hold on to them for a bit?
They've been sitting for a few months, don't think they're going to disintigrate or anything if they sit for a few more. :D Just give me a call when and if you want them. Glad I could help with someone's winter project.

·
Registered
708 Posts
alright cool, now i just need a lift and im set lol

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
CRS...

:welder

It's funny that you say that 'cause my truck already is silver, so maybe leaving it for 25 years might be a good move. The again I don't think the motor would be legal then. But hey neither will wheeling! :*******

I got an idea for you... Drive to Renfrew!

Oh and Jo-Jo, it must be tough having a pick a part in your own yard of which to build your projects from. :violin Maybe if you spent less time web wheelin / putting on really cool events like TJ 2002 then you might get one of the many done. Just kidding, I'm just really jealous not to have that much stuff in my yard...

One day...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I want to install a cv style driveshaft, an sye, a hardtop and replace my front driveshaft u-joints. All the time wheelen.:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts