BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason today my jeep decided so be a pain in the a$$. I had this problem b-4 but never as bad as this. It just wont go into gear! A few times it was just 1st and reverse but when i was driving home today and stoped and i light it would not go into any gears. Also reverse ginds alot latley when i shift into it. I think it might have somthing to do with recentley putting a 2.5 inch suspension lift in. I did lower the transer case one inch if that helps at all??

I dont understand it. I have seen it once b-4 on my friends ford when he could not shift into first he would just start in second.

anyone?????

------------------
92 yj 2 inch body lift,lift shackles, 2.5 rancho lift springs running on 33's

·
Registered
382 Posts
your clutch slave cylinder may be shot. Check the master and see if its low on fluid.

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by N8:
your clutch slave cylinder may be shot. Check the master and see if its low on fluid.

If it is low then there is a good chance it is shot?

------------------

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
usually if your clutch slave is gone you will grind your gears whenever you try and put it in gear (no clutch engagment). also your clutch will go right to the floor without any effort, it will feel the same as when you are bleeding your brakes.

tell us more...are there any noices when trying to put it gear or is it just not wanting to move into gear.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroits f+r, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no noises or grinding. Just wont go into any gears. But if this helps at all i have came close to stalling my jeep going from a stop into first. Which i havent done since i was learning standard

------------------

·
Registered
382 Posts
Originally posted by cornjeeper:
usually if your clutch slave is gone you will grind your gears whenever you try and put it in gear (no clutch engagment). also your clutch will go right to the floor without any effort, it will feel the same as when you are bleeding your brakes.

when my slave went I had no grinding problems I just couldn't shift untill we bled it then it was fine for a few more weeks then it was shot again.

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
459 Posts
That is strange man, my '92 YJ has been doing the same thing. I get stuck in 3rd, and can't get into 4th or down into 2nd without stopping and clearing the clutch a bunch of times. My clutch is not disengaging, the pedal has lost its springiness, etc. I checked the fluid level, it is fine, the clutch is grabbing right down near the floorboard, and the truck still drives with the clutch pushed down all the way.
Didn't mean to butt in here, just looking for answers, too....thanks. According to the Haynes manual, the clutch could be contaminated with oil, the clutch plate could be warped, the diaphragm spring could be fatigued, the master cylinder could be leaking, there could be air in the hydraulic system, insufficient pedal stroke, the piston seal could be deformed or damaged, or there could be a lack of grease on the pilot bushing. WHEW!! Sorry for the long post, taking my Heap into the shop this week, I will let you know what was wrong. Probably clutch, first one in 170,000 km's. Not bad......

------------------
'92 YJ Sahara, 4.0 L, Rock-It intake, Splitfire plugs, Dynomax cherry bomb, KC's on the windshield frame, saggy springs, numerous scratches, excessive stereo.....and some fresh U-joints and pinion seal, mmmmmmmmmm :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the same problem twice last year and both times it was the master cylinder....the seals were shot inside. I would still feel pressure when stepping on the pedal but the clutch would only dissengage when pressed right to the floor. After about a week of this it completely died.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If the jeep is parked [not running] will it shift?. Also you said that your reverse is grinding also as well as 1st. If you have lots of fluid I would say shot release bearing. If low on fluid I would go with master cylinder, or release bearing. Check 3 places for fluid. 1] right below the master on the firewall, you will see where it was eating the paint. 2] underneath the dash right where the pushrod for the clutch is. 3] underneath jeep at the inspection plate if you have oil there then you have a bad release bearing. Now if all that fails Tranny may be low or out of oil
and or syncro gears are shot. If release bearing is gone I will help you fix it.

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000

·
Registered
459 Posts
When you check the fluid level for the clutch, is there a diaphragm in the top of the tube to keep junk out? I put my finger in to check the level, the fluid was fairly high, but it seemed to have a filter in the opening....?

------------------
'92 YJ Sahara, 4.0 L, Rock-It intake, Splitfire plugs, Dynomax cherry bomb, KC's on the windshield frame, saggy springs, numerous scratches, excessive stereo.....and some fresh U-joints and pinion seal, mmmmmmmmmm :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know our trannies are a lot different, but I had the same problem, and I couldnt get into first. I pulled over and let it sit for a bit, started up the jeep and it was fine. Not sure why, and it hasnt happened since.(last year)

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 33X12.5 tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it will shift while not running

------------------

·
Registered
459 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
it will shift while not running

Ditto for me....

------------------

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
if the slave is gone then you WILL get grinding when putting it into gear (slave doesn't push throwout bearing to engage clutch)

i don't really see what bleeding it does unless you emptied the clutch master. how would air get into the line?

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroits f+r, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Took it to the mechanic, he bled it, and it is back to normal now. He did say that the slave is probably on the way out, and at my mileage, should do clutch as well, while you have it all apart. Thanks for help, gents.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well boys ......

She finally died! Jumped in my jeep after work and the clutch peddle went to the floor and never came back up

------------------

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
time to pull your tranny and put in a new slave

------------------

·
Registered
418 Posts
check the inside of your firewall for fluid leaking down.masters go all the time.when replacing,it's worth it to spend the extra bucks to get brand new and not reman.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
Well boys ......

She finally died! Jumped in my jeep after work and the clutch peddle went to the floor and never came back up

does anybody know what happened to brents clutch peddle, what i mean is what caused it to do that.

Jason

------------------
IF GOD NEVER CHASED MAN OUTTA THE GARDEN OF EDEN THE GREENIES WOULD HAVE
[email protected]

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by IBJeepin2:
does anybody know what happened to brents clutch peddle, what i mean is what caused it to do that.

Jason

the slave blew so all the fluid in the line sprayed out. same sort of feeling when you blow a brake line.....the peddle goes right to the floor.

------------------

1 - 20 of 28 Posts