BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
You know, I never would have guessed that DC would really do this. Jeepers like us have always rolled our eyes at each new generation of Jeep vehicles (the Liberty springs to mind), and now here they go putting out a nice solid trail-ready TJ just like a lot of guys have built for themselves, except it's right off the lot.

It'll be insteresting to see how much this options package costs... but more important, how on earth can DC justify producing a machine like this, with their policy of denying warranty claims on vehicles that have signs of off-road use???

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by cwate:
It'll be insteresting to see how much this options package costs... but more important, how on earth can DC justify producing a machine like this, with their policy of denying warranty claims on vehicles that have signs of off-road use???
You know what's really funny? AMG Hummer does the same thing. They've denied warranty claims because the vehicle was "abused" offroad.

Speaking of DC, have you noticed the shiny new Gelandenwagens (G-Wagens) cruising in the Vancouver area? Mercedes recently started selling them in North America. Now, those are nicely equipped 4x4s (5-liter, 24-valve, V8 engine with 300 horsepower, 325 foot pounds of torque, front/rear solid axles with electric lockers). How will they warranty those with respect to offroad use?? <g> Ok, I guess that particular market segment wouldn't being using those vehicles offroad anyway.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:

...... but more important, how on earth can DC justify producing a machine like this, with their policy of denying warranty claims on vehicles that have signs of off-road use???
I really get the feeling that warranty problems have more to do with Chrysler's generally restrictive warranty policy than with it being an off-road issue.
I was told that for years Chrysler has set upper limits on the value of warranty claims each dealer can do, with the idea of discouraging dealers from doing unnecessary warranty work to keep mechanics busy. Problem is that the limits are too restrictive, so busy shops can run out of "allowance" and have to then go through hoops to get paid. For this reason many dealers look for any excuse to disalow warranty work.

There is also the factor that they charge you more than they charge Chrysler, so if you tranny is toast and they can disallow your warranty they will make far more profit on the work.

Service reps are supposed to diferentiate between use and abuse, but many are over enthusiastic, and others are plain idiots.

My dealer has never turned down a reasonable warranty claim, and has voluntarily fixed things under warranty that I told them that I expected to pay for. When I put my 33s on the service manager said that the u-joints and rear axle shafts would no longer be warrantied, but nothing else would be affected.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.