BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
can someone shed some light on the seen?

i have a 78 bronc with those radius arms behind the axle,mounted to the frame at the transmission,
i saw the results of taking one arm and letting it rotate, (some serious articulation!)

i plan to just cut one a little ways back from the axle,add some steel on either side redrilling a couple of holes for some bolts,one will be removed when i want to perform, the problem or question is does anyone know if the radius arm can be welded?
is it stamped steel or cast steel or cast iron or what, i have access to any form of welder and stuff,so what do you think
cani do it,

oh ya ! i can also maybe put some hiem joints on it too,
thanx for any help:soso

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I believe the arms are forged steel...not to sure of the material specs. Maybe someone knows of what types of rods to use to get good strong welds.

I would like to get one made for me, cause I do not have the equipment to fab one up!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well des,
your in luck ,i could make you one for beer money!
i saw one done before,the guy said it was no biggie to weld it,
he said he used a mig,(wich i own) to weld it ,he said it was just forged steel or something like that,
onother guy said he was on mars!
use a 309l rod on a buzz box! (wich i own)
both of them barely spoke english,well you could only make out a few words between all the FRENCH words they had for each other!

i'll make you one,,,,,i need a geniue pig! ha ha
what are you ridin?:welder

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have two spare radius arms that you can convert into wristed arms, one can use some press work to straighten it out but it will work great. I also have the quad shock brackets if you dont already have the snow plow package on your 78. I am going to be running single shocks upfront because the budget is a little tight. So I will not be needing the quad shock brkts for the front clamp of the c-bushing.

here are a couple articles for you study up on:

http://www.lonestar-ebc.com/content/tech/fabrication/wristed_radius_arm/lee_n_wristed_arm.htm

and

http://www.gis.net/~fordboys/product.html

and

http://www.wt4wheeling.com/tech/wristfront.htm

please advise...:D

P.S. :confused: I hope you are a competent welder cause I don't want this arm breaking on me!:laugh

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:clown don't worry des i can zap stuff,
i even hemmed the legs up on my mickey mouse costume!

hey thanx for those sites,i have studied 2 of them before,
i have a completly different concept that totally changes the way we think!:spam
well not exactly,but it will make the arm way stronger,waayy stronger,
i found a couple of radius arms today,
so i will try welding one up the way i want it
the other will stay stock,then i will put them into a press and break them! i will find out the hard way if you can weld this stuff stronger,

i thought it would be nice if a guy could put a heim joint in the back so one could just switch them out easier for a stock one in the off season, just a thought ,

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Sounds good, let me know how you make out and send me some pics! I am in no hurry to get one at this moment!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i'm in no hurry to make them , its huntin season very soon
so i don't have the time,
but you never know, i didn't get any draws this year,
i will let you know as soon as they are done,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts