BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal, I have an 89 Yj with the peugeot transmission, It died, picked up a ax-15 from a 93 yj, and 23 spline input shaft for the np231, new clutch.

Cverything is in ok now. The linkage for the x-fer case seems to be in the right position, so does the shift gate. The problem is its not shifting into all 4 position, only the bottom 2.

Im hoping I didnt mis-align something when i reassembled the case, Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Also the tranny makes a metalic thud clank noise when shifting into reverse when no power is supplied to it. Is this because its not synchronized?

-Mitch

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
hey mitch, i think the problem is the linkage is off a little. on the bottom of the 4wd lever there is a little bar that runs to the t-case and the shifter bar is allowed to slide on the t-case bar only if the screw on the bottom of the shifter bar is loose. my guess is when the tranny/tcase was pulled the person loosened the bolt and let the shifter bar slide on the t-case bar.

i guess you could put the t-case in neural (test by putting tranny in gear and then turning the 2 t-case yokes) by pulling/pushing the t-case bar then put the shifter in the 'neutral' spot and tighten the bottom bolt. you may need to play around with this idea but the general concept is there.

the little 'reverse' grinding noise is alright, it happened to my old tranny too. try putting it into 1st then putting it straight into reverse. should make things a little smoother.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroit, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that was the problem. The rod that links the two shift bars was adjusted to its max in the direction I wanted it to go. I removed it and ground about a 1.5" length down to the diameter of the end piece, so the adjusting screw would slide freely to the rear. tightend the screw. Shifting like a charm.

-Mitch

[This message has been edited by mitchd (edited January 10, 2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.