BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grinding noise (or maybe clunking) from my front end when the hubs are locked and i put it into 4 hi or lo. when in 2wd (hubs still locked) it doesn't make the noise but there is alot of drag which i imagine would be tires driving the diff. any body got any ideas?

------------------
91 Explorer, Stock wheels, Stock lift and a Super Duper stock engine!!! More mods to come ;0)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Universal joint in the front diff or drive shaft or wore out splines in one of the above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Coast:
I have a grinding noise (or maybe clunking) from my front end when the hubs are locked and i put it into 4 hi or lo. when in 2wd (hubs still locked) it doesn't make the noise but there is alot of drag which i imagine would be tires driving the diff. any body got any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah, it could be the hub slipping. I test drove a ranger and when in 4 wheel drive, and i turned a corner, the hub was slipping and there was a clunking noise.

·
Registered
360 Posts
hey I had the exact same problem with my Bronco II I found that when Itook off the hubs and put a whole bunch of wheel and bearing grease inside the hub it seemed to take care of most of the problem but it could also be ball joints in the front end.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm willing to bet its the needle bearings inside the spindles. Pull off the spindles and have a look..Its always that bearing that gets forgotten.

------------------
James King
95 F150 4"lift on 33's..
4.10's Auburn Posi
3" no cats exhaust...MSD
Surrey B.C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts