BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a late 80's cherokee and am on a relativley tight budget. I am looking at a 6" lift, maybe 33's, lockers and a few other mild upgrades. I'm just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips as far as what works, what doesn't and any basic advice in general about XJ's. The new skyjacker rock ready lift is pretty pricey so I am looking for any cheaper alternatives. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm running a six inch Rubicon Express Extreme Duty lift. It came with rear leafs, front coils, sway bar quick disconects, long travel shocks, extended stainless steel brake lines, transfer case drop(yuck!)and various other components. It also comes with all new poly bushings, u bolts and degree shims all for $1800 brand new. I run 32x11.5 muds and just barely clip the flares during full articulation. I wouldn't suggest the 33s unless you add coils spacers up front and extended shackles in the rear to give an extra couple of inches of lift. Rubicon has both of these products and can substitute them into a lift package at your request. This is the most complete lift I can find out there. The ride is great and handles sweet off road and on road with absolutely no driveline vibrations. Jeep Thrills is the only local supplier for Rubicon so you'll get the cheapest price from him. Anyone else would just be ordering through him anyway. The Xj is a great choice but the unibody can't take a beating as well as a convention frame vehicle. I know that some late 80s Cherokees came with Dana44 in the rear(big bonus). Other than that I can only suggest you make sure what you buy is a four litre and not a four cylider>

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, you can run 33's with the Rubicon 6" lift(i thought it was 5.5"), either way, or any other lift. I believe there is only 3 company's out there right now selling a 6" lift, rubicon express, rusty's offroad, and skyjacker. Forget about skyjacker, too pricey, rusty's or rubicon are the best. Unless you have a way of getting good deals on items, you'd be best buying a complete kit than rather try to customize your own. If your willing to, i'd go with the rubicon, definitely worth your money. As far as tires, 33's work with 6" of lift, you just have to fender trim, which is a good mod because it allows more flex. With 33's and a 6" lift, you shouldn't have to do too much. But XJ's are bad for driveline angles. Anything abouve 3or4" and you might need to get shims, drop the t-case or get a SYE. T-case the cheapest, but counter productive, SYE-best buy, but expensive. 87-89 XJ's some have a D44 in the rear, like me
and the D44 came with the towing package. Standards are 3.07 and autos 3.55. Both liveable with 33's, but only for awhile, i'd recommend 4.10's or 4.56.
Your front axle, D30, should hold up fine with the 33's along as your not heavy on the gas, and your rear axle should too, whether its the D35, D35C, or 8.25. I have 4" of lift some fender trimming, and i could run 32's, so you 33's should run fine with 6".

The best thing to do, decide what you want, first the jeep(don't get the 2.8L V6), than what lift and tires you want to run. Remembering that you have to regear if you want to use the fifth gear, and crawl off road. But take it slowly, get to know your jeep first, how it handles and so on. Save up and get the lift and tires, maybe drive with that for awhile, than go for the gears and to save money do the lockers at the same time.
Hope this helps, any other questions, there is tons of help here, so ask
Cheers
Jordan

P.S. I've got a 1.5" Budget boost, so you could look at 4.5" lifts(rubicon, rusty's) and then buy my budget boost and you'd get 6"

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

[This message has been edited by XJman (edited October 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
These guys are sending you the wrong way. Put on a 3" budget lift, slap on some 33's and cut your fenders till they fit. Thats what I did, worked fine.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled. 2" body lift, 3" front lift blocks, 6 non functional Super Offroader lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got your truck for ya. I've got an 87, 4.0, auto, 3.5 gears, dana 44 rear with locker, 6"tomken lift and 32"bfg muds. Wheels great, may not be as flexy as some of the new kits, but a well made kit. No add aleafs in the kit either. I've taken it up many of the difficult trails around here with little problems. Just got it painted emerald green, same colour as some of the new ones. I haven't listed it for sale yet, but I will be soon. The other guy on the board with the 92 is asking $15,000 for similarily equipped truck, although he has a few extras I don't have. I'm gonna ask around $8,500 for it. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you are seriously looking...its a '90 2-door sport,4.0,5 spd,a/c,3"epc lift, bfg 30" mudders,hooks and skid plates,alpine cd and alarm.its a great truck but I would like to upgrade to a '98-'00.i've been waiting to get the new one first before i try to sell this one.will start at 9700.00 obo.once I start to advertise.
email me if you are interested

·
Registered
51 Posts
i just got an '88 xj with 6" lift and 33" thornbirds for $3500. shop around and find yourself a good deal, it needed sum minor word, but what old beater doesn't.

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rubicon Express is also available at Sportrucks/NSOR and they may give you good pricing. I've got a 90 XJ with 6.5"RE($1300.00 last Feb.plus a whack more on BPE's SYE driveshaft etc.) and 32's. The 35's will work with trimming and correct backspacing, but 33x10.50's(yes BFG muds come in this size now!) will stuff nicer. You have to remember axle strength with 35" tires.I've got 33x10.50's coming and they work great(tried a pair on the front under full stuff and lock, no problem. I do have a bit of front trimming(level with the light bezel) but that's it.Good luck and look forward to an empty wallet as with XJ's, it's NEVER done!

------------------
Don't lick that!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts