BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Remember me?

I have some drivetrain work to get done at a garage in the next couple weeks. It is going to be up in the air anyway, so I figured I would see if I can talk my mechanic into slipping on a lift for me while he is at it. To that end, I need a 3" lift kit. Cheap... used... scrap... I don't care as long as my jeep goes another 3" in the air and I don't have to drop 2 grand to do it. If it is a smaller lift I would take that too... I am just sick of banging my rear bumper coming out of cross-ditches.

So, any of youse have the components lying around because you have bumped up to a bigger lift, or otherwise, I want to hear about it. I am extremely short on the green though. Let me know.

Oh yeah: specs. '91 XJ Sport, 4.0 I-6 HO, Auto Tranny, 29" tires. I'm begging you guys! This is my last hope of ever having a real 4x4!

------------------
Cheapass Cherokee Boy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, cheapest way to get three inches, i'd say AAL in the rear, and i guess 3" coils. If wanted a good flex, but little lift, a Budget boost from Rusty's offroad would be good. Its an 1.5" lift with shackles in the rear, and coil spacers up front. Check out www.rustysoffroad.com, i'm sure you'll find something along the lines you want. As well, if you haven't found anything by the summer, i might be selling my 1.5" BB, all matters if my jeep will handle the angles and if i'm rubbing with 33's. Either way.
Good luck
Jordan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Labor is usually the most expensive part of a xj lift. the best 3 inch coil for the xj is a old man emu grand cherokee coil #934 i think? a two inch spacer between two stock rubber spacers will give 2 1/3 " and is about max for just spacers. out back if you find a commanchee (pick-up) and swap the two middle leaves with your two middle leaves and add the shackles (or even chevy shackles)you get a nice cheap 2.5-3.5 inches and will ride nice. i have this plus a one inch block which feels ok. i had two inch blocks for about a week and it looked and felt wrong(leaning towards *******). if you order from rusty get his three inch coils instead of spacers cause by the time you do exchange,shipping and duty the difference will be worth it. spacers you can make or get used anywhere.

"xj owners think outside the box".

------------------
my truck has metal fatigue

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
birddog, could you be a little more specific on who to talk to and how to get these parts? You sound like you have described exactly what I am looking for. How much is the 3" coil? Where can I get it? If I slap on the comanche leafs, that gets me 2 1/3", but what do I do about the last 2/3 of an inch? How do I even it out?

Thanks again... anyone else who can expand on this would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Cheapass Cherokee Boy

·
Registered
109 Posts
not to be offensive but if you can save some $$$$ up and do it right you will be much happier with less problems and what the hell it will even be safer.

------------------
WORK WEEKENDS, ALL WEEK TO WHEEL WITH LESS CROWDS

·
Registered
160 Posts
I never thought I'd agree with you cruizer.

------------------
90 Sub,496BBC,d60,14b,detroits f+r, 44 boggers,th400,np205,insane ,warn15000,balls of steel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now are you two saying the leaves and coil approach will not be as safe as a premade kit like the rubicon express? That is pretty serious. I am not going so far as to try something that could wreck me or my jeep. If it is that unsafe I may have to reconsider. I guess I need some more feedback from birddog on this, seeing as how he has actually run this rig. What say you to answer these critics?

------------------
Cheapass Cherokee Boy

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Doing it right is a relative term.

I dont think theres a wrong way to lift an XJ.

Get a set of coils, or a set of spacers, and a set of leafs, or a set of add-a-leafs, or longer shackles or blocks, or a combination of them.

Then get correct length shocks and straighten out the front brake hard line to get a little more lenght, and buy a longer rear brake hose.

Shouldnt have driveshaft problems until about 4" of lift.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
119 Posts
sorry i was away for a week. there are a million ways to lift the xj if you mix and match. i have built a few trucks here and there and would say the most dangerous part is always crawling under the damn thing on jack stands. you can get any coil for the front its just that after 3 inches you gotta due something with that track bar then you might as well get contol arms and the best shocks money can buy and some blah blah....with my xj it is really my wifes station wagon so i decided to try the absolute cheapest route to my goal. new add a leafs were 150 plus tax every where i called also all the kits were too much after mark-up and taxes and duty etc. ARB in seattle will not sell to you directly but you can always pick stuff up there. i ordered my coils on the net from rocky road outfitters 58 US each which was 180 can total.this is alot but the OME flex and ride like a dream. when i was in the US i stopped at a big jeep wrecking yard outside of snohomish and got some skid plates and cherokee bump stops and stuff. there is no duty on used truck parts so i threw some dirt on the coils called them used with the other stuff and got waved on thru. i always hoped i could afford the OME rear spring packs later but am quite happy with the homemade ones. rebuilding spring packs is a good place to start learning about suspensions and as for being safe it is a matter of hardware(grade 8) nice and tight but don't wreck the bushings. you can call me and i will hold your beer while u hammer
and help u out.
604 466 3357
ROB

------------------
my truck has metal fatigue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts