BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here every made there own xz control arms? im thinking about making a set out of rod ends and chrome moly tubing (similar to a 4 link bar of a race car) will it be strong unuff? and also if i lift the jeep about 5 inches how long would i need to make arms? do i make them longer or stock length ...:confused:

·
Registered
565 Posts
After my Rusty's upper control arms broke a friend of mine welded me up a set to drive around on for now. The chromoly tubing should be plenty strong enough if you go with the right size. I'm not a fan of the rod end style link in control arms as they tend to wear out quicker than other types. Make sure that you have good welding skills before you do this mod. The reason my upper control arms broke was due to a poor weld job weakening the metal. Where it gets really tricky is at the axle end of the lower control arm. To get max flex you either want a bent in the control arm or the link offset a bit. Look at some of the aftermarket web sites and you'll see what I mean.

Yes with that lift you need to lengthen the arms. I couldn't tell you the length off the top of my head, but go and find a similarly lifted xj and measure.

I do have a set of Tomken lower control arms (johnny joint ends) sitting at home. The ends need to be rebuilt. $100 if you want them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will those control arms be ok for that kinda lift ? length wise...and will i need to change my uppers as well?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes they are made for 4-5 inches of lift.

As for using the stock uppers, I don't really have experience with using stock arms with that much lift. I know people have done it, but the driveline angel may be a little off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took my "stock" RE arms and cut them in half so I could use the johnny joint ends, then mated them up to some 0.25" wall DOM to make long arms for my ZJ. FWIW, the RE arms are 0.125" wall tubing.

I put a write-up here.

Jay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tatts said:
...if i lift the jeep about 5 inches how long would i need to make arms? do i make them longer or stock length ...:confused:
For 5" lift lowers should be about 16.25"-16.50". Uppers about 0.5"-1" shorter than lowers, depending on how you need caster/pinion angle adjusted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts