BC 4x4 Forums banner

XJ front brake-lines

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DMMcG 
#1 ·
What options do I have for a longer brake-line for the front? I didn't have issues on a ramp, but real-world flex and ramp flex seem to be different matters. Found out this weekend that the front brake-line "just" gets taut under full droop when the back is also flexed.

At rest it's not actually tight enough to tear the line, but I'm thinking that a bit of momentum might change that.

So I've heard rumours of YJ lines (front/rear?) that fit without fussing (specifics would be great - especially whether they work on a '97+ XJ)....

What aftermarket lines are available? Are braided metal really worth the $$'s?

Frankly, I don't mind going with rubber lines at all - I've yet to have one fail on me, and the brakes work well enough, but if metal braid has some advantages I'd like to hear about them.

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh come on Dale you know how much I stretched the suspension of my XJ and I still have the original rubber front lines.

Since I'm replacing all my hard lines when it goes back together I'm just going to make the hard line long enough to relocate the top of the rubber line under the frame.

#4 ·
YJ lines are longer than XJ lines, so if you want I cheap upgrade then I'd go that way. To my knowledge all the years are the same so it shouldn't matter which year your XJ is. I run the braided lines, but they came with my RE lift kit. I don't think I would spend the extra money for a set if they didn't though.

#5 ·
I recently installed a set of Pro Comp braided brake lines (from NSOR) on Project YJ. I was running custom-lengthened rubber-sheathed lines but decided to try braided because it seemed they would twist and flex better. That was important to me because my previous lines got cut and abraded during suspension cycling. Part of that was due to the way the thick rubber insisted on bending in certain ways, thereby routing itself in not-so-great routes near the sway bar links, tire lugs, etc.

With the braided lines, it was much easier to force the lines to route in a safer path.

...lars

#6 ·
Some also claim that braided do not give as much when you press the brake pedal thereby increasing pedal feel and braking. When I installed my the pedal feel and braking definately improved, but it was probably more due to flushing and bleeding the system than the lines.

Lars makes a good point on the abrasion resistance of braided lines versus non.

#7 ·
I went with the YJ lines for mine. Dead simple, and cheap (as long as you stay away ftom the dealer.) They work just fine, but keeping them out of harms way is something to be considered as with any vehicle dealing with a moderate amount of flex. By the way, I got the leafs in finally and they work great! Thanks!
-kelly

#8 ·
Thnks for the info, guys.

I think I'll go with braided with some small spring retainers to retract them out of harm's way.

Kelly: Glad that you're enjoying the OME springs. Ride great, don't they?

#9 ·
Free Brake line Fix

This is simple....
See where the brake line mounts to the inner fender?
Remove that bolt, and relocate it. Straighten your existing metal brake line out somewhat and you should be able to gain 2-3 inchs more free play from the rubber flexable part and the straightening of the metal line. And you dont have to bleed the brakes out afterwards!
This is a 1/2 hour job... including jacking it up and removing the tires.
Mind you.... I only run a 3" lift. But with the sway bar disconnected I get major flex. Seems to work great.
I'll be putting it through its paces this weekend, we've got about 10 trucks for Saturday and I cant wait!
Good luck with your little modification

#10 ·
Re: Free Brake line Fix

try_xj said:
This is simple....
Remove that bolt, and relocate it. Straighten your existing metal brake line out somewhat and you should be able to gain 2-3 inchs more free play from the rubber flexable part and the straightening of the metal line. And you dont have to bleed the brakes out afterwards!
I did something similar to this with my YJ; I relocating the hardline so that instead of coming out horizontally on top of the frame rail, I pulled it out so that it come out pointing downwards on the side of the frame. Gave me a few inches of extra length but at the cost of forcing the hose to make a sharp bend which is where it eventually wore through the line. Not sure if the XJ mod that you describe will do the same thing, but keep that possibility in mind.

...lars

#11 ·
Re: Free Brake line Fix

try_xj said:
This is simple....
This is a 1/2 hour job... including jacking it up and removing the tires.
Mind you.... I only run a 3" lift. But with the sway bar disconnected I get major flex. Seems to work great.
I'll be putting it through its paces this weekend, we've got about 10 trucks for Saturday and I cant wait!
Good luck with your little modification
Already have done that. It's not quite enough.

Thanks for the tip, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.