BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'91 Cherokee, 4.0, Auto.

finally decided I should change the reverse light bulbs and they still don't light up. anyone had issues with reverse lights on XJ's? is the switch on the tranny a PITA to check?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yup PITA. If it's not a fuse, it will likely be the Nutral Safety Switch which is multi function switch, mounted on the side of your trany. I had mine out yesterday for the second time. The first time was for the same reason. You don't want to replace it if you don't have to as it's a dealer only part and it's going to cost you about $500.00. I took mine apart, cleaned and regreased it and put it back in which solved the problem. That was 5 years ago. All it cost me was about an hour or so of my time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
thats the beauty of xj eh.... clean it up again and it starts to work!!oh an obviously you guys dont know........ cross the border for electrical parts that are (dealer only) ridiculously priced..... most cases thou.....you spend atleast $100 less and thats after shipping! oh and btw crazy guy....if you cant get it working ..... i can prolly hook you up depending what tranny your running?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did the same as XJ pimp, but I left mine plugged in and just did it under the jeep. Did that 6 years ago and it's still going. I used a low temp grease that works well with electrical, be sure you don't loose the springs and contacts.

RockAuto.com has them for $160 (AC Delco brand) Under: electrical/switch and relay/Nuetral Saftey switch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is a tech article I wrote for another site. Sorry I don't have time to include the pics right now.
Does your Cherokee not start in park? Or do you have to jiggle your shifter in park to get it to start? Another good indication is the reverse lights not working (allthough it did not help mine). Chances are it's the neutral safety switch. It costs a lot to replace but it is easy enough to clean. So on the passenger side of the transmission is the neutral safety switch.

It is held on by the adjustment bolt (top hole) and a large nut with a tabed washer on the bottom under the washer is a small rubber washer. This is on a small shaft on the side of the transmission.

The most time consuming part of the whole repair is cleaning the crude around the shaft to be able to pull the sensor off. When you finally get it off you can follow the wire conduit up to the connector. Cut the half dozen zip ties and unplug the connector.

You will be left with this. The nss.

On the back side is six screws. Two silver on the bracket and four gold to hold the sensor together.

If your sensor is old it will be dirty like this.

All you have to do is clean off the old dielectric grease and crude and use a scotch brite or sandpaper. You only need a slight abrasive. Just enough to clean the contacts. Be careful of the rubber gasket that sits in a channel between the two sides of the Nss. After you clean it, it should look like this.

Don't forget to clean the arm. These two contacts are spring loaded and should be able to move freely. Clean these contacts as well.

Apply a healthy dose of dielectric grease and put it all back together. If you don't clean the outside of the sensor it is pretty easy to tell where the adjustment bolt goes. But a few starts and shifts with tell you if everything is all lined up. There is also a cast line in the sensor the should line up with the flat part of the shaft towards the rear of the tranny. Another way ( although we didn't try it )is to put it in reverse (do not start it! Turn the key to the last position and shift it to reversel) and have a friend watch the rev lights and by tuning the sensor find where the middle of the rev contact is.
The torque on the nut is 5 ft and the adjustment bolt is 8 ft. If you tighten it to much you wont be able to shift. Don't forget to bend the tabs on the washer in against the nut to prevent it from free turning.Hope this helps. Don't forget about replacing the zip ties!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so dirty contacts on the NSS. sounds like something to do next weekend.

Silvor: as I said in my first post its a '91 with the 4.0 and Auto. im pretty sure the AW4 has been the only auto behind the 4.0 in an XJ since the first XJ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.