BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my full size Jimmy and bought an XJ on the weekend. Then yesterday I ordered a rubicon express 4.5" lift. I dont have much cash left so I cant really afford a sye kit right now. Has anyone tried the rubicon express high travel slip yoke? Will it work okay untill I get a sye? Also im eventually going to run 33's. Will the stock axles hold up for a while untill I can swap something better in?

------------------

www.teamrush.web.com

[This message has been edited by vinsimo (edited January 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
50 Posts
it depends on your xj, i have 5 inches of lift with with stock drive shaft and slip yoke, seems to work fine, as far as stock axles with 33's, i have them and i think the axles will hold up fine. i'm not 100% sure on that, maybe someone else would know better.

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas

81 toy 4.5-5"lift, rebuilt 22r, homebuilt bumpers, 33 mud kings JDgreen, 4.37's*for sale*

now have_87xj w/5' lift, snorkel, roof rack, 8000 warn, 33" mud kings and rust

[This message has been edited by braer (edited January 18, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There are 3 possible axles in an XJ:
Dana 44 - rare & desired
Dana 35C - common, barely adequate for 33s
Chrysler 8 1/4 - On newer XJs, nearly as strong as a D44

I can't answer about your drive shaft, but a 1" t-case drop would make it more likely to work.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
565 Posts
You can run around with the stock slip yoke and the RE 4.5" kit just fine. I did it for 2 years with no real problems. Especially on the earlier Cherokee's (pre-97). As Chris S. said, D44 and 8 1/4 good and will handle 33's, D35 will handle for awhile but you're asking for trouble especially with a locker. The front D30 will be ok.

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I think Ill try the lift with the stock drive shaft and yoke first to see how it is. The kit comes with a trans case drop, that should probably help. Ill keep you guys posted on my new project!

------------------
88 XJ gonna be nice soon.
www.teamrush.web.com

[This message has been edited by vinsimo (edited January 18, 2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts