BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody (Rob included) know which year F-150 I should look for to get the radius arm brackets he used with Hulk's axle-wrap bars? I'm looking for a way to mount a '78 Bronco front axle underneath my Comanche (using the Ford radius arms) and I think the ones he used would work great. Unless someone has an even better solution? All ideas are certainly welcome, though at this stage I'm looking for something bolt on. Later on, I'll dive into more of a custom fabrication to mount them higher up, out of the way.

Thanks,
--Pete

http://www.bc4x4.com/includes/thumb...F150 radius arm brackets.&title=Hulk!&sa=true

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about using those at first. Since aquiring the Bronco, I've discovered that the inboard mounting surface is angled and needs to bolt up to the enormous Bronco crossmember. I like the radius arm mounts Ryeguy has, 'cause they bolt to one vertical surface and one horizontal surface, i.e. the subframe rails under my Comanche.
(Thanks for the offer though.)

--Pete

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use different generation brackets F&R. The fronts are old, I think early Bronco or F-100 or something, that's what I was told. The rear brackets are off a late-80's or early '90's Ford F-150. I think. :******* I just rummaged through a pile of brackets 'til I found ones that I thought were going to work.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I looked into the radius arm idea when I was building my Comanche. Wil actually tracked down a pic of one that was done. And I came across some more pic's of a XJ with that done too. In the end, I opted against it for the same reasons why I don't like the Ford radius arm design in general - prone to axle hop and/or will limit wheel travel. Or you have to put a hinge on one arm, which I wasn't going to do.

--Rob

PeterMontie said:
Does anybody (Rob included) know which year F-150 I should look for to get the radius arm brackets he used with Hulk's axle-wrap bars? I'm looking for a way to mount a '78 Bronco front axle underneath my Comanche (using the Ford radius arms) and I think the ones he used would work great. Unless someone has an even better solution? All ideas are certainly welcome, though at this stage I'm looking for something bolt on. Later on, I'll dive into more of a custom fabrication to mount them higher up, out of the way.

Thanks,
--Pete

http://www.bc4x4.com/includes/thumb...F150 radius arm brackets.&title=Hulk!&sa=true

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture I was looking at was of your rear mounts. I figured they were '80s. When I get a chance, I'm making a trip to the pick-your-part to poke my head around.
I've also thought about the wheel-travel dilema. I'm working on a pretty strict budget at the moment and using the 78 Bronco arms is a stopgap measure until I can afford upgrading to aftermarket arms with Heim joints or the like. Jeffs Bronco Graveyard sells a kit that gets some serious flex out of an early Bronco! As to axle-hop, that's a new one by me. But I'm too far into the project to change now, so I'll just have to wait and see how she does.

Thanks,
--Pete

P.S. The "wristed arm" idea still kinda freaks me out. Letting one of your control arms pivot on it's own just doesn't sound very safe.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I was concerned about the limiting factor of the radius arm design, but then I found out that my Skyjacker Coil Springs dont flex worth crap anyway.

My long term plan is an equal length parallel four link up front in place of the radius arms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dan said:
[...]My long term plan is an equal length parallel four link up front in place of the radius arms.
Equal length arms aren't a good idea from a handling aspect. There's some good suspension books that you can buy for a reasonable price that explain that, it may be worth it for you.

--Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts