BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my front drive shaft has a bit of a bend in it and is causing a vibration. Is is safe to remove the driveshaft completely unitil I can find a replacement. Keep in mind I'll be taking the thing to tofino this weekend and really don't want to break down somewhere between Port and the coast. Any thoughts on driving w no front drive shaft will be much appreciated (As would any leads on a replacement).

Thanks, James

G

·
Is your front driveshaft really bent or does the slip yoke need grease?

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"must....get rid of....stock...seats"
www.members.shaw.ca/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jeep is just back from some service at the marine chrysler and they told me that it is bent. To tell you the truth, I don't know what to look for and I am just taking their word for it. I just dont feel like coughing up the $900+ that they estimated to fix it. I know people have been posting $40 drive shafts so I was thinking I'de just wait until another cheap one is posted. James

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just dont feel like coughing up the $900+ that they estimated to fix it.

you can have one custom made for 250 - 300 cash.

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
102 Posts
HOLY CRAP
I'd go back there and piss on thier service counter
900$
you're being taken for a ride my friend

you will have no problems if you pull the front shaft
no ill effects...
but you won't have 4wd either (obviously)
i don't know if you'll need it

but you can drive your jeep fine without a front shaft...
it is held on with 8 bolts....
4 at the t-case, 4 at the axle...
and then some little straps
you'll see
it's super easy

which dealer is it so we know never to buy from there?
I'm guessing Wille...
NEVER GO THERE
I'd love to come bitch them out with you!

RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

[This message has been edited by RYJAY (edited February 14, 2002).]

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use that dealership and never had any problems. They've also been pretty good at doing warranty work for me even with all the mods I've done to my Jeep, although I've never had anything big needed work on.

------------------
2000 Sahara
4" suspension & 1" body lift, Belly Up, 33" MT/Rs

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by N8:
I just dont feel like coughing up the $900+ that they estimated to fix it.
Fargin' bastitches! $900 for a front driveshaft?! That's laughable. While you've got your driveshaft out, check the u-joints to see if they're the cause of your vibrations.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited February 14, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not defending the quote, but not be totally accurate they quoted $772 for the driveshaft and $99 for labour. I have had a lot of work done there in the past and they are usually very helpful. Anyway thanks for the help everyone , the driveshaft is coming out tommorrow untill a replacement surfaces. James

·
Registered
102 Posts
okay...

you are a mark.
don't defend them.
maybe they've taken you every other time too...

It should take an experience mechanic no more than ten minutes to pull and replace a driveshaft...
so that's a $600/hour shop rate....

don't stand for it...
I could see any shop charging a half hour labor (cuz that's what shops do) but still...that's an hour and a half!

You can pull and install your own driveshaft for free in 1/2hour tops...it's just 8 bolts.
while it's out try to make freinds with someone who is mechanically inclined and get them to check all the joints and yoke.
even if you do need a new shaft there should be a shop you can take it to and get it repaired or a new one built for waaaay less.

Pull your shaft (
) and everything will be fine...
but just don't leave it that way for very long....
it's a jeep
it's not meant to have just one drive shaft.
that's like jeep sin!

I say, good luck to you my friend.
RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bent a shaft in my old Ford when a U-joint grenaded.
Driveline specialties was able to straighten it back with some TLC.
I was quite cheep

------------------
'94 XJ - 3" RE lift, 31 Big O XT
'97 F250 HD 5" custom lift, 33" BFG AT

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a bent font shaft as well...(dropped down on a big rock while night wheeling) I called Garys Autowrecking and they quoted me $200 or $250 for a front shaft and like RYJAY posted you can change it yourself really easily.

·
Registered
102 Posts
During a wheeling trip to sunrise lake with the 4 wheel drive association. Wes R. , Dan B. , and Dale M. were kind enought o point out that my front shaft looked like a banana, Had itself a real nice bow to it. So I called Rick at Gary's Auto wrecking and he set me up with a nice front shaft from a 92 YJ for 100$.

All in all I say start to learn about the mechanics of your jeep, and when and if you can do the work yourself. Post the problem here and the rest of the board will try to help you as best as we can.
cause 900$ for the front shaft and work is crazy. Spend that money on tools and become more Jeep efficient. Oh and pick up a shop manual.

Jason

------------------
IF GOD NEVER CHASED MAN OUTTA THE GARDEN OF EDEN THE GREENIES WOULD HAVE
[email protected]

·
Registered
302 Posts
ya pull it yer self .. super easy like everyone says ... I've pulled mine tons of times
on both the jeep and the fords. before you pop it out .. put the tranny in nuetral and get down under and give that shaft a shake!
wiggle that sucker side to side, up and down, also at the slip shaft
. If there is any play at the U-joints, replace them they are cheap. if the slip shaft has play it's time for a new one but will do if it is VERY little (but find a new one eventually as it's done it's time)
Dave

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to the wreckers ASAP. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
154 Posts
wow! [email protected]@!!!

i'm a complete auto-mechanic moron but even i was able to remove my front driveshaft myself and replace it with a new one for $120 from a wrecker with the u-joints included for spares. that makes me soo mad when i see shops like that rippin' good wheelin' folk off!

------------------
-James-
1988 YJ Laredo
[ ] | || || || [ ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts