BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here converted a 'YJ with a 4 cyl. from manual to power steering? I know Gary's sells a conversion for about $250. Are there any other ways to due it cheaper or easier? Last time I called they did not have anything in stock, and said they would call if something came in. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Scott

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Since most YJs came with power steering, a conversion basically consists of installing those parts on your Jeep. In other words, the cost composed solely of used, factory parts. That's the cheapest way to do it and so if Gary's cost is too high for you then you simply have to find those same parts for less elsewhere.

That means you've got to start searching the Buy & Sell for Jeeps that are being parted-out and other wrecking yards for YJs.

Sorry if my answer sounds so obvious but it answers your question to a "T."

The only thing I would add is that you should compare a 4.0L and a 2.5L YJ (both with power steering) to see if all the power steering parts are identical. That way you'll know if you need to limit your search to 2.5L-equipped YJs or not. My guess is that the only difference might be the power steering pump bracket. However, since the 2.5L is essentially a 4.0L with 2 cylinders lopped off, I'll bet the bracket is the same.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited March 21, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lars,
I was told by Gary's that only the 4 cyl. setup would work, but if there is anyone out there that knows different please speak up.

scott

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The steering box is simply a saginaw box, can pick that up anywhere, the one in my parts XJ would even fit.
Any steering pump will power it, all you gotta do is find something that fits, theres the tricky part.
How about off a 4 cyl. XJ? Same stuff under the hood, too bad my parts truck was a V6

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Dan:
The steering box is simply a saginaw box, can pick that up anywhere, the one in my parts XJ would even fit.
If I remember right, the YJ uses a 4-bolt Saginaw where as most Chevys etc are 3-bolt. Right?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts