BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
running 35x12.5x15 bfg mud terrains ok let me see here i also have the question about the clutch but i thought i would post a new thread for this one ppl are telling me if i run the 35s im going to have problems unless i change my pinion and gearing is this true???? right now I'm rockin a 95 yj....2 inch body lift. 4inch roughcountry suspension its all torn down right now just got new polyurethane daystar body mounts sandblasted primed painted and clearcoated the frame interior dark blue exterior white including the frame is done white lots of cool doo dads 4L straight 6 engine has 280.000 kms on it stock running gear accept i just bought new rebuilt transmission and NP231-J transfer case u joints all new uhh redoing the brakes right now almost complete wish i knew how to post pics on this site someone tell me how any ways back to the question what do i do.. I WANT TO PUt iN LOCKERS and all that good stuff but i dont want to break axles and such so my question is do i have to change the gearing and or axle shafts and or axle and or anything to run my 35s with confidence
well i mean i alrady do run them with confidence but everyone keeps telling me that i shouldnt hahha

·
Registered
455 Posts
As you said you are already running 35s with your set up. The reason people are telling you to re-gear is to help the motor turn those tires. It will also help take the load of the trany and other running gear. With the diff you have right now you are about as big a tire as you would want to go. I say run it like it is now and when you got the cash do gear and locker at the same time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so lets say i got the cash right now what should i go to like 4.10s or something and when i change my gearing do i change my ring and pinion set

·
Registered
187 Posts
I ran stock dana 35 rear with 35 inch muds and 355 gears, 2 broken shafts, carrier toast, not much torque.
Changed to ford expoder 8.8 with locker, no breakage. (get 410s or higher)
Loose the rear dana 35 and save$$$$$

The front dana 30 is still in. no breakage yet.
Looking for high pinion 44 or 60 To replace with.
If you don't use the skinny pedal you will be OK
If you wheel upgrade!

Don't waste money on diffs you will want to replace latter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if ya take it easy your axles and clutch will be fine....well if ya like the 4 spd anyway

my recommendation is this and i speak from experence ..TRUST ME

keeping cost in mind and doing it right the 1st time

axles ==== loose the rear one asap if its a d35....it will break i promise and why bother spending any cash on a ****ty rear end

recomend the 8.8 from a newer explorer ....if ya look around you can find em for about 5 bills ( if ya want one with disc breaks and lsd ) but if yer cheap a drum version will run ya about 150 bucks

go with the discs .....it helps to keep the wheel on if ya do break a axle

for the front.....unless you bank acc is big just stick with the 30 its not as bad as the d35 in the rear and their are upgrades avail.

gears...

personally i say go 456 or 488 this will = about 2500 rpm at 100k and will give ya a little passing power in 5th and a better crawl in 4 low

wanna save some cash ??? find a 8.8 rear with stock 410 gears then just pick up a 4 cylinder yj front axle ... it will have 410s also...and done

the 410s and 35'' combo will give you 5th gear back

hope this helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if ya take it easy your axles and clutch will be fine....well if ya like the 4 spd anyway

my recommendation is this and i speak from experence ..TRUST ME

keeping cost in mind and doing it right the 1st time

axles ==== loose the rear one asap if its a d35....it will break i promise and why bother spending any cash on a ****ty rear end

recomend the 8.8 from a newer explorer ....if ya look around you can find em for about 5 bills ( if ya want one with disc breaks and lsd ) but if yer cheap a drum version will run ya about 150 bucks

go with the discs .....it helps to keep the wheel on if ya do break a axle

for the front.....unless you bank acc is big just stick with the 30 its not as bad as the d35 in the rear and their are upgrades avail.

gears...

personally i say go 456 or 488 this will = about 2500 rpm at 100k and will give ya a little passing power in 5th and a better crawl in 4 low

wanna save some cash ??? find a 8.8 rear with stock 410 gears then just pick up a 4 cylinder yj front axle ... it will have 410s also...and done

the 410s and 35'' combo will give you 5th gear back

hope this helps
sweet thanks i will probably go with the rear 8.8 and 410s then and ill just keep my stock front axle and put in 410s my yj is a straight 6 though not a 4cyl but yea awesome problem solved in my opinion unless anyone else has something to say

·
Registered
209 Posts
what i said was ....or tried to say was

go find a dana 30 out of a 4 cyl yj ..... it will already be 410 gears and install the whole diff in yer 6 cyl yj

cheaper than doing the whole gear set thing and you can do it yer self in a couple hours
\

plus this way you will have extra axle shafts and unit berring and brakes and bla bla bla

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what i said was ....or tried to say was

go find a dana 30 out of a 4 cyl yj ..... it will already be 410 gears and install the whole diff in yer 6 cyl yj

cheaper than doing the whole gear set thing and you can do it yer self in a couple hours
\

plus this way you will have extra axle shafts and unit berring and brakes and bla bla bla
sweet yea srry misunderstood that;s sweet though cause this guy i know is parting out his 4cyl cause e thinks hes going to turn it into a half ton chev jeep with a v8 but as far as ive seen hes had it apart for a year or so now and its just sitting in his front yard full of snow and water hahaha but maybea i can get that off him and yea tank you sir

1 - 10 of 10 Posts