BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Too many to list all. The main differences is that the TJ sits a little taller (a little bit more ground clearance stock than the YJ)and can fit larger tires than the YJ stock. It also has coil springs instead of leaf springs for the suspension. One of the thing I like the most about the TJ is the fender flares. They allow for more travel in your suspension. I drive a '92 YJ and I'm looking at putting the TJ fender flares on my Jeep. What are you driving??

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep

·
Registered
539 Posts
YJ, springs, square headlights, small flares, good truck

TJ, coils, round headlights, more factory options, nice looking flares, not my thing

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just so you know...Nothing beats a cruise'n in a YJ!!

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep

G

·
What are you going to use your Jeep for? I'm assuming wheeling because you're on this site. There are good arguements for owning either. Ask people that own the particular vehicle you're looking at for pro's and con's.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
FJ!!!!

------------------
"Breaker Breaker, this is Bravo Tango... come in over" We have a Zulu Delta in sector 49er!!

I am a profesional Rockologist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you thought of a CJ, a little older but if youget a good frame a good project truck. For a lot less than any TJ. More funds for building your rig.

------------------
1980 CJ7 .... OK I'm hooked

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Dax's Bad ass Jeep:
YJ, springs, square headlights, small flares, good truck

TJ, coils, round headlights, more factory options, nice looking flares, not my thing

Compared out of the box or with mild modifications, the TJ is the better offroader and street driver of the two, as long as you don't factor in the price difference.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by carbuyer61:
What are the differences between the YJ and the TJ?

my main problem with the tj (well other than being better off-road in stock contition than my yj) is that they have gone with the cheesy transfer case lever.. where is the STICK.. it looks like a toy inside.. next they will have the little button on the dash... BAD

------------------
'94 YJ 4"Supsension lift, 2" body, SwayBars Gone at both ends..so much better...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
Compared out of the box or with mild modifications, the TJ is the better offroader and street driver of the two, as long as you don't factor in the price difference.

...lars

I agree TJ may be better stock, but you could buy a YJ and do a SOA for the same price as a TJ, then which is better offroad?

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Dax's Bad ass Jeep:

I agree TJ may be better stock, but you could buy a YJ and do a SOA for the same price as a TJ, then which is better offroad?
After a lot of mods, it depends on the mods done and who is driving. That's why I included the clause about not comparing the price. It's easy to install a bolt-on kit without screwing it up but when you get into the more extreme modifications, it's very easy to end up with a fancy-looking, tricked-out 4x4 that actually doesn't perform very well at all.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited September 06, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
For example, I've been told (by Wes Remple) that Wes Remple's one hell of a 4x4'er and I THINK he's riding a stock YJ with BFG muds. 4x4ing, as I've come to realise, is a VERY driver dependant thing. I bet you could put a 4x4ing newbie in a hardcore jeep (you know the deal, eb axles and all the rest) and a REAL driver in a stock YJ/TJ/XJ and the good driver will take 'em easy.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport

1 - 13 of 13 Posts