BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a best model of York compressor and which vehicle they are found in? What's the going price in a wrecking yard? I've got to rig something up because my ARB is going to quit on me soon.Thanks...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's some info on Yorks I found when researching for mine, hope it helps.

OnBoard Air

Another difference between the AMC and Ford versions is the pulley. The AMC pulley is positioned very close (1/2") to the body of the compressor. The Ford pulley sticks out about two inches away from the body. This might make a difference in your mounting bracket because the belt obviously needs to line up evenly with the pulley on the other end.
The third difference is in the stroke length. There are reportedly three different stroke lengths, ranging from less than 7" to over 10". The longer the stroke, the more air the compressor can pump per minute. This doesn't vary by auto maker, so there are two ways to tell which length you've got:
1. If your compressor still has a metal York (not Motorcraft) ID tag bolted to the front of it, there will be a number on the tag that looks like "F2XXY", where:

XX Stroke length
10 = long
09 = medium
07 = short

Y Discharge Direction
L = left
R = right

Take off the clutch and look at the crankshaft.
Remove the center bolt (1/2" socket)
Remove the large washer
Run a 5/8" coarse thread bolt in until it forces the clutch off.
Look at the end of the crankshaft. The end is flat on all models.
If the edge of the flat end is beveled, you've got the short stroke.
If it's a sharp corner, but with a thin groove for a retaining clip, you've got the medium stroke.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know if this will work for you or not but The Hitch Co. ...formerly Hitchco has 12volt compressors that are heavy duty capable of maintaining 120psi. They offer pig tanks of a couple of sizes with fittings and all necessary hardware:Dcheck it out.....Todd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just a note, the xx part of the tag is not actually the stroke length of the compressor, it is the cu. in. output. You can also tell the difference between the pumps by removing the pulley and looking at the end profile of the crankshaft. There is a good write-up at
off-road.com .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.