BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, the security system in my 94 ZJ was going all weird. My keyless remote has not worked for about a month (it’s not the battery) and when I open the door with the key, then try and start the engine, my high beam light starts flashing along with the security light located right beside. I have to get out and unlock the door again, sometimes 2 – 3 times. If I don’t, I can turn over the engine but as soon as the engine starts, there is some kind of engine kill that kills it right away.

The mechanic started checking the electrical with an electrical tester (?) and popping out the fuses when he got to #7 fuse ((15 amp) for security alarm relay, security alarm module, and flash to pass) he said that that was the problem. We tried taking it out but when we tried starting the engine, we couldn’t get pass the engine kill. So what I have to do now is every time before I turn off the engine, I have to pull that fuse out so it doesn’t drain my battery.

What my question is, is there a way that I can disable the engine kill so that I can just keep that fuse out? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ollie

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ollie you might need to get a new key made. I know you said it wasn't the battery, but theres a possibility that the chip in your key (the one that makes your key uncopyable and counts as a passive engine stopper whatchamacallit) has been messed up. That would explain why your engine keeps killing.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Baby Joe:
Ollie you might need to get a new key made. I know you said it wasn't the battery, but theres a possibility that the chip in your key (the one that makes your key uncopyable and counts as a passive engine stopper whatchamacallit) has been messed up. That would explain why your engine keeps killing.
I didn't realize there was a chip in the key. I went to a different Jeep dealer and he never mentioned that there was a chip. He just copied the valet key with one of those hand key cutters(actaully he used a Dodge Ram key to cut my ZJ key but said that it was the same). I guess I should go beck to the actual dealership to get a proper key but how do you find out where the truck was bought originally? I don't think that just any dealership would cut a key would they?

Thanks for the reply Baby Joe

Ollie

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
At least I think that's what's going on.....
Maybe the chips are the same, but I THINK they're different...

I'm fairly sure that any Jeep dealership will cut you a new key as long as you've got proof of ownership.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Baby Joe:

I'm fairly sure that any Jeep dealership will cut you a new key as long as you've got proof of ownership.

Thanks Baby Joe,
I will check that out. I hope it is as simple as just cutting a proper key!

Ollie

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
first of all the key does not have a chip in it, if it did then it would be really big, i know this for a fact! and second for the engin kill there really is only three things you can do.

1st option: Get a new security system! either a stock one or a aftermarket one

2nd option: get a haines manual and look in the electrical system, the dealership doesn't want you to know this but the is a wire running from your ignition coil and it is hooked up to a - terminal on your security system modual. You can disconnect that from the security system and run it to a constant ground. you see when it is grounded it will alow the engine to stay running but when it is disconnected it will not alow the engin to start.

3rd option: the security system has a protect on it so when the battery go's below a certain level it will not allow the engin to turn over(if you've ever experienced this it will make a very loud clicking noise)this is basically so that you can run your necessities ie. hazard lighs. in an emergency. although this is a pain in the ass. also it has a protect on the engine, the engin kill you've bee experiencing. when this happens get out of your car and lock then un lock your car through the drivers door with the master key.

the security system on jeeps suck i have a 94 zj and i have had alot of problems, your not alown

------------------
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
could be a chip in it, they make chips really tiny these days so the key dosn't have to be huge. I work at a honda dealership and some of the cars(I think just the accord but could be a couple others, not sure) have to have the key programmed to the car when it is cut and the any other keys must be reprammed at the same time to make them all work

------------------
-'85 XJ Pioneer, 2dr, 4cyl, 5spd, 31x10.5's, 2" lift
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's. bone stock(for now)
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Kraqa you're dead wrong when it comes to the programmed key. Crazyguy is right, tons of newer vehicles have a key with a thick plastic butt on it that houses this little chip dealie.

Sorry buddy

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Actually go ask your jeep deallership, i have. and it DOESN'T HAVE A CHIP IN IT.!!!!!

------------------
94 zj, platnum +4 plugs, zenon lights, 2 inch custom lift 31x10.5, k&n,
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The way i know this is also is cause my rubber coating on my key fell off. that is whyu i asked the dealer ship because i was worried that i might have lost the chip, and thats when he told me THEY DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!

------------------
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Kraqa:
Actually go ask your jeep deallership, i have. and it DOESN'T HAVE A CHIP IN IT.!!!!!

Thanks Kraqa, Baby Joe, and crazyguy for the help. I called the dealership and they said that there is no chip in the key for the 94. They only started making the 'Smart Key' around 98.

Kraqa, if I was to get an after market alarm, would that solve my problem, provided that it is the security system that is screwed up?

Thanks again everyone,

Ollie

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
if you get it installed properly them they should completely remove the old security system and it would be fine. but some install shops just bypass the stock system and i'm not sure how that will work but just get it installed properly with new wiring( a good car audio shop will do that, ie beam riders)

------------------
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.